• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Best IP hider program?

B

Bizarre

Well I know some of you guys use one, but which is the best in your opinion, everytime I download one, my anti virus software says its a virus so help me out.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Well I know some of you guys use one, but which is the best in your opinion, everytime I download one, my anti virus software says its a virus so help me out.

You're refering to a proxy. You can set an option to use one in the settings in Windows by going to the Control Panel, clicking on Internet Options, selecting the Connections tab and then clicking on LAN settings. In there you can setup a proxy. This assumes of course that you are connected to the internet via a router/modem and you don't have a dialup connection.

Depending on the router as well, you could setup the proxy from it as well but I'd recommend keeping it only on your own computer since anyone else using your internet connection would be affected too.

As for a list of proxies to use, I wouldn't know about them since I've never had need to use any in the past. I'm sure that a google search would help or perhaps someone else could advise on this.

B

Bizarre

Thanks guys and another question does this hide me when I download torrents? I got an e-mail a while back about me downloading programs so I just want to be safe.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Hiding your IP will only prevent others from determining what you are downloading. Meaning if you are downloading a torrent, others won't be able to see what you are downloading, and thus those pesky government agencies looking to catch people, won't be able to see you for the most part. However, your ISP can be sniffing your outgoing packets and will be able to identify what you are downloading (correct me if I'm wrong).

Generally using torrents and proxies are frowned upon and not something recommended. If you do not configure a proxy through your router you will have to do it with all your applications (bittorrent/utorrent may have a proxy option in the preferences/settings).

RoBz

sucker
Unless you route all your torrents through the proxy which will not work unless you set up the proxy yourself. Most people just use a proxy to report to the tracker with, but then all other peers in the swarm (thats where those pesky government agencies hide) will still be able to see your real IP address.

As far as I know, those pesky government agencies aren't actually looking for us users anymore, its more your ISP, so to hide from your ISP you'll need to force encryption on all your torrents which means you can't connect to anyone who doesn't have encryption on, hence losing a lot of peers.

As eldiablov said, you should get a seedbox from someone like feral or whatbox, these plans are really handy.

LocutusEstBorg

Aren't seedboxes probably part of some sting operation. You're practically admitting your up to no good and there's no telling who's running them.

Thank god I'm safe over here. They'd laugh it out of court if someone tried to sue me for piracy lol. You can walk free for years before you're convicted of anything.

MiKeY188

S For So Not Mature
use a VPN? they encrypt all your info so your isp cant see what your doing.

There are free alternatives but if your looking for a fast 1 your best buying one.

RoBz

sucker
Aren't seedboxes probably part of some sting operation. You're practically admitting your up to no good and there's no telling who's running them.

Those two I linked above are run by pirates, they simply rent servers from OVH and server.lu and split them into small slots for sale.

MiKeY188

S For So Not Mature

Thank god I'm safe over here. They'd laugh it out of court if someone tried to sue me for piracy lol. You can walk free for years before you're convicted of anything.

I heard about this but i think its only onshore seedboxes? perhaps im wrong...