• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Best laptop < $500

Slasher

Suck It
What would be the best laptop I could possibly get for 500 Canadian dollars or less? (So about 400 USD)

I'm just looking for a solid laptop with decent performance & ram. It's not being used for gaming or anything intense at all. It's being used for just listening to music, going on the internet, and other basic things. Must have wifi.

It's a gift for my girlfriend so yeah. Is it even possible to get a decent laptop this cheap?

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Are Acer's any good?

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
You just missed a clearance sale Staples was having.

This was one of them:
$397 Acer
T5550
320 gb hdd
3 gb ram
BT, WLAN
17 inch, wxga+ 900x1440
If your lucky you may be able to find a similar clearance laptop at Staples.

You can find more if you browse through redflagdeals.com
(Canadian Site FYI)

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
You just missed a clearance sale Staples was having.

This was one of them:
$397 Acer
T5550
320 gb hdd
3 gb ram
BT, WLAN
17 inch, wxga+ 900x1440
If your lucky you may be able to find a similar clearance laptop at Staples.

You can find more if you browse through redflagdeals.com
(Canadian Site FYI)

didnt know they had a staples in canada.

Seth

MD Party Room
What would be the best laptop I could possibly get for 500 Canadian dollars or less? (So about 400 USD)

I'm just looking for a solid laptop with decent performance & ram. It's not being used for gaming or anything intense at all. It's being used for just listening to music, going on the internet, and other basic things. Must have wifi.

It's a gift for my girlfriend so yeah. Is it even possible to get a decent laptop this cheap?

Thanks! :)

EDIT: Are Acer's any good?
Acer are good but they do get really hot..

I see if I can find something but I dont know much about canada. deal sites..

To be fair you can buy her a netbook and it be just fine for most of the stuff if she doesnt mind the small screen..

Office Supplies: Office Products and Office Furniture: Office Depot

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
Acer are good but they do get really hot..

I see if I can find something but I dont know much about canada. deal sites..

To be fair you can buy her a netbook and it be just fine for most of the stuff if she doesnt mind the small screen..

Office Supplies: Office Products and Office Furniture: Office Depot
My grandma's doesn't, I even had it on my lap for 2 hours and it never warmed up. (Acer 5735-4774)

I wouldn't buy a netbook, the good ones usually cost almost as much as a laptop.

Seth

MD Party Room
I would just like to add that acers customer service is known for being absolutely terrible.
Grap I got to call them..The charging port on my sister laptop is broken.

Edit-Just got of the phone with them,they were great.The guy knew what he doing....and I getting a new charger shipped to me.It took all of 11 mins.

Tho I must say that there phone Number is very hard to find on there website even for a tech savvy guy like me.

Seth

MD Party Room
So what you end up getting?

Moose

Meta Moose
I have an Acer and it has worked perfectly for 2 years now. I would recommend them, however I have never had to call customer service (which is a good thing of course) so I can't speak for that.