• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Better Way Of Setting Up Extended Desktop?

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I recently bought a new TV which has a VGA port, and now I have my monitor and TV connected to my computer. I selected Extended Desktop until display settings of Vista, but there is something I find really annoying with it.
If I open a program, it will go to the screen it was last on. So if I was using my TV as a monitor, and try to open a program when my TVs off, the program is off the screen. Also, if I make an icon on the TVs desktop, it will also open in the screen it was last on. So basically I want it so whichever desktop I open a program on, that is the screen the program will open on. Therefore I can create icons on the extended desktop and click them and open a program on that screen, while I could click the same icon on my primary monitor and it would open on that screen.
Is there anyway to do this?
I tried UltraMon but it didn't seem capable of that and also whenever I tried to do something my computer froze up for a minute so I have uninstalled it.
Thanks.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I think so... How can I tell? And does it do what I asked?

mohaas05

download it here

It's part of the Quadro card drivers but you can install it without any harm. Once you do so, there will be an icon on the system tray that allows you to control multi-monitor settings.

you can specify which monitor windows open on, including setting specific ones too. And you can tell it to open programs on whatever monitor you started them on.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
According to my dad I do not have a Nvidia card. Is there any other way of doing it?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
That's a problem I've had as well and never have really looked for or found a solution. You think Vista would be able to realize that that monitor is no longer connected/being used yet it still sends the window to the other screen, I usually have to right click on the taskbar entry and click move and then move my over to where the other screen would be, hopefully right over the window and click and drag it back over. I'm wondering if in Windows 7 this would be fixed, a minor annoyance that has no reason it shouldn't be fixed - I'd rather not download a third-party driver or program just to get it to work

Hardrive

Contributor
You said you tried UltraMon, but I don't know if you tried this feature. In UltraMon, you can bind specific key combination to certain actions. So, you can bind certain keys (I did Alt+Arrows) to move windows back and forth. The window just needs to have focus. I know its not a very elegant solution, but it works.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
OK thanks, I might reinstall it. I wish there was an upgrade for Vista to fix that problem...

PsypheR

Yeah, a lot of Vista's features seem half-assed.
Hopefully, Windows 7 will be more consistent with the UI and go farther with their apps on Vista. So far they're heading in that direction. :tup: