• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Bios Update

megaorange

Is there anyway possible to update a laptop bios without a battery.
I cant charge the battery.
My system wont recognize the battery so wont charge the battery.
I cant afford to buy a new one right now and the new bios addresses battery problems.
So is there anyway to update it without a battery.

Wha?

If you're talking about your laptop power battery, can't you just start it up without the battery when hooked into AC power? Every laptop i've ever used does this.

Also, are you sure flashing the BIOS is the correct solution? It's a risky process, even moreso on a laptop.

megaorange

I can turn my laptop on with the AC adapter And i know flashing is risky i just want to know if its possible and how

Bill

It's about as risky as doing it on a desktop pc without a battery. Just don't unplug it.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
What's the update method for your laptop? Is it an .exe file within windows that you run? If it is, try adding "\forceit" to the launch paramaters. Try going into the properties of the .exe file and adding it in there. Not sure if it will allow you or give you the option so try creating a shortcut of the file and then going into the properties of the shortcut file. It'll look something like this:

4527416508_5d025d6e1b_o.png

megaorange

it is an .exe file i create a short cut and tried to do as you suggested but still gave the message
Screnshot.jpg

idk if it makes a difference but in running vista

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
My mistake, I believe it would be a forward slash: /

Try that, if not I'll post another way of using the forceit command through command prompt

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
nope still the same

Alright try this then:

Pre-requisite: place the update file onto your desktop

1) Hit Start
2) type "cmd" (without quotes) into the search box
3) Right click the Command Prompt result and click "Run as Admin"
4) Type "cd desktop" without quotes
5) Type the filename of the update file (including the .exe extension)
6) Put a space after .exe and then add /forceit
7) Hit Enter

EDIT: If this doesn't work, try the command /jabil

megaorange

if i type cd desktop in the administrative command prompt it says system cannot find the specified path but in the user command prompt cd desktop works

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Ok well find the full directory of your desktop folder, should be something similar to: C:\Users\UserName\Desktop

So type: cd C:\Users.....
That will change the directory to your desktop

megaorange

ok /forceit doesnt work and when I use /jabil it gives the message invalid command line parameters please verify the program was executed properly

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
ok /forceit doesnt work and when I use /jabil it gives the message invalid command line parameters please verify the program was executed properly

Sorry then, that's all I've got. I don't know any other methods of bypassing the check, I'll have to look into it more later.