• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PC Blizzard Puts Real Money Auction House for Diablo 3 On Indefinite Hold, Clarifies Security Concerns

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
d3a.jpg

If you've been endlessly scrounging up rare items in preparation for the launch of Diablo 3's real-money auction house, well, you'll have to wait a bit longer to cash out. The company has decided to postpone the launch for an indefinite period of time, amid post-launch issues of which you are most certainly aware of. The launch was previously slated for late May.

"As we mentioned in our original announcement, our goal has always been to ensure everyone has the smoothest experience possible when the real-money auction house launches, and we need a bit more time to iron out the existing general stability and gameplay issues before that feature goes live," read an announcement on the official Diablo 3 forums.

Additionally, the company has issued a response to reports of rampant account hacking, stating that all cases of unauthorized access occurred before Battle.net Authenticator or Battle.net Mobile Authenticator app was attached to the player's account[...]

Continue reading: Blizzard Puts Real Money Auction House for Diablo 3 On Indefinite Hold, Clarifies Security Concerns...

hush404

Soz... the people getting hacked are just the usual bunch of tards who click on any email that says "Oh, hey! We're totally blizzard! Put your info here!"?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
@hush404: Yep, a lot of people falling for it, unfortunately.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
I dunno. Any company could just offer up the usual responses for how people should have better security and OH HEY you should buy our authenticator!

Unless any 1 party offers direct evidence to support any claims. I am going to stay neutral. Blizzard can say "we can find no suspicious activity" all they want, it's as much of a blanket statement as the people claiming it's some kind of SQL Injection hack or any of that other nonsense. Many people are being hacked and the logs show 0 log ins to said account between the time the person logged off. And the time they logged on and found their stuff missing.
And variations on this.

so if someone stole their account basically, shouldn't it either show that someone logged on via an IP or any other trace??

Another thing is that some people are reporting getting hacked, filing for a support ticket and then having Blizzard shove the statement that "Your account was not compromised" Even though someone is missing all their stuff (Supposedbly)

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Blizzard has send, up until this point, that all accounts compromised have been a result of traditional means - so not on Blizzard's size

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Blizzard has send, up until this point, that all accounts compromised have been a result of traditional means - so not on Blizzard's size

Autocomplete is not on your side today :p

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Autocomplete is not on your side today :p

Nothing is ever on my side :p It'll be interesting to see how much things sell for on the RMAH. I've put 40 hours into this game since release (aka I have not done ANY homework...so not looking forward to next week when I have a ton of work to do) and have yet to find one legendary or set piece. The highest item I've found that I could sell on the gold AH has gone for 40k when the highest items are grabbing in the millions... With that said, I'm glad it is postponed as I'm still trying to find items good enough to sell for a decent profit.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
If all this hacking kills the real money auction house, I am unexpectedly on the side of hackers.

El Diablo

I don't get it, are you guys hating on Blizzard just to hate on them and not be part of the majority in love with an amazing great game? What exactly is your problem? Did you never play Diablo 2? Do you not understand the massive, MASSIVE problems that plagued that game with duping and fake items and hacking and places like d2jsp? Do you fail to comprehend that Blizzard has basically solved the major issues with that game by what they have done to this game, while still keeping it Diablo and making an amazing game? Sure it has some issues but nothing is perfect.

As for hacking, get a fucking authenticator. There is no reason or excuse to not have one especially with phones these days and just about everyone having a phone capable of having a mobile authenticator. You put a lot of time and money into your battle.net account whether you play 1 Blizzard game or you play all of them. There is no excuse to justify not protecting your investment. If you get hacked, you were obviously doing something wrong whether it was falling for phishing or viruses on your computer or what have you, you fucked up if you got hacked. All these people who claim to have been "hacked" needed was an authenticator.

And because I know some inevitable "Blizzard is just trying to trick you into buying authenticators money grab money grab money grab" conspiracy theory will come up because haters are going to hate, the mobile authenticator is free and even if you have too shitty of a phone or ipod to have one, 5 bucks or 6.50 or whatever it is is such a small price to pay for essentially never having to worry about your account being hacked or having issues.

TLDR: People are retards, they deserve to get hacked if they even did, get an authenticator. RMAH is a far superior option to what happened in Diablo 2.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
I don't get it, are you guys hating on Blizzard just to hate on them and not be part of the majority in love with an amazing great game? What exactly is your problem? Did you never play Diablo 2? Do you not understand the massive, MASSIVE problems that plagued that game with duping and fake items and hacking and places like d2jsp? Do you fail to comprehend that Blizzard has basically solved the major issues with that game by what they have done to this game, while still keeping it Diablo and making an amazing game? Sure it has some issues but nothing is perfect.

As for hacking, get a fucking authenticator. There is no reason or excuse to not have one especially with phones these days and just about everyone having a phone capable of having a mobile authenticator. You put a lot of time and money into your battle.net account whether you play 1 Blizzard game or you play all of them. There is no excuse to justify not protecting your investment. If you get hacked, you were obviously doing something wrong whether it was falling for phishing or viruses on your computer or what have you, you fucked up if you got hacked. All these people who claim to have been "hacked" needed was an authenticator.

And because I know some inevitable "Blizzard is just trying to trick you into buying authenticators money grab money grab money grab" conspiracy theory will come up because haters are going to hate, the mobile authenticator is free and even if you have too shitty of a phone or ipod to have one, 5 bucks or 6.50 or whatever it is is such a small price to pay for essentially never having to worry about your account being hacked or having issues.

TLDR: People are retards, they deserve to get hacked if they even did, get an authenticator. RMAH is a far superior option to what happened in Diablo 2.

I'm fairly certain people are more angry that blizzard is just throwing a blanket out saying "it's your own fault", which, maybe that's true. But the number of people whom are reporting getting hacked is quite large for it to be "their own fault". and I'm fairly certain I've read that some people whom got hacked also had the authenticator.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

I'd love to point out some horribly wrong things you've said. But really, I've become tolerant and accept any opinions as long as they are mildly argumented, and although your post reeks of fanboyism, there are one or two points I can agree on.

I'm fairly certain people are more angry that blizzard is just throwing a blanket out saying "it's your own fault", which, maybe that's true. But the number of people whom are reporting getting hacked is quite large for it to be "their own fault". and I'm fairly certain I've read that some people whom got hacked also had the authenticator.

Yup, lots of people who were hacked have autenticators.

Robby

Los Doyers!

Fanboy ^^^

El Diablo

I probably am a fanboy, shit ill even say I am, but that doesn't change the fact that blizzard is trying to fix and solve the main issues with d2 and I think they're doing a pretty good job at it. Sure somethings might suck and nothing is perfect but at the end of the day, I would go as far as to say the game is a big improvement from diablo 2 which is what everyone knows and expects and compares it to.

I also played wow long enough to understand the server and patch issues and expect it. I don't really understand why people assume and feel entitled that they can log into an online game on day 1 with millions and millions of other people and not have any issues with servers or logging in. Its just the way shit works and is a small price to pay when it will (the initial problems) be solved in a day.

It was always the same way with wow too. They take everything down on a Tuesday for a big new patch that everyone has been waiting for, then the servers finally come up and 4 million people try to all log into wow at once and the stuff crashes again. Everyone hates on blizzard and bitches about them and then come wed. Everyone is online and fine again and they love them.

I just see it as expected issues that will crop up with a massive online game and have to deal with it. I also feel that part of the reason im okay with it is because I played wow for so long and I feel like I know blizzard and how they work. While everyone was complaining about shit blizzard was releasing small hotfixes and patches to fix things that most people didn't/don't even know about so they see the server down and just start bitching even though blizzard is doing/does plenty of stuff behind the scenes to get everything working properly.

I know I went OT for this specific thread but that's just my take on the whole d3 situation. As for the rmah, blizzard is giving you a way to make money off their game legally with no worries of being banned. They take a dollar from weapons and armor and 15% from commodities. I think that's a small price I am more than willing to pay for the chance to possibly get some money back and help them keep their servers running without any subscription fee. The other paypal 15% thing has to do with transferring money to paypal and has nothing to do with blizzard. Again, I think its a small price to pay to be able to convert my fake game money into real tangible cash. Diablo has never been a huge pvp game so the whole pay2win thing doesn't really pertain to diablo as much as other games (at least not now anyway) and sale of ingame current has and always will be around. Blizzard is providing a way to do that (which I understand. Not everyone will like or want) while being able to monitor it and keep out all the scams and dupes and various other problems. They aren't forcing you to use the rmah either so you can do everything normal without even touching it.

Tldr I know its not perfect, I know im a fanboy but I still think its better than the other options and things that happened in diablo 2.

Sorry for the wall of text.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I probably am a fanboy, shit ill even say I am, but that doesn't change the fact that blizzard is trying to fix and solve the main issues with d2 and I think they're doing a pretty good job at it. Sure somethings might suck and nothing is perfect but at the end of the day, I would go as far as to say the game is a big improvement from diablo 2 which is what everyone knows and expects and compares it to.

I also played wow long enough to understand the server and patch issues and expect it. I don't really understand why people assume and feel entitled that they can log into an online game on day 1 with millions and millions of other people and not have any issues with servers or logging in. Its just the way shit works and is a small price to pay when it will (the initial problems) be solved in a day.

It was always the same way with wow too. They take everything down on a Tuesday for a big new patch that everyone has been waiting for, then the servers finally come up and 4 million people try to all log into wow at once and the stuff crashes again. Everyone hates on blizzard and bitches about them and then come wed. Everyone is online and fine again and they love them.

I just see it as expected issues that will crop up with a massive online game and have to deal with it. I also feel that part of the reason im okay with it is because I played wow for so long and I feel like I know blizzard and how they work. While everyone was complaining about shit blizzard was releasing small hotfixes and patches to fix things that most people didn't/don't even know about so they see the server down and just start bitching even though blizzard is doing/does plenty of stuff behind the scenes to get everything working properly.

I know I went OT for this specific thread but that's just my take on the whole d3 situation. As for the rmah, blizzard is giving you a way to make money off their game legally with no worries of being banned. They take a dollar from weapons and armor and 15% from commodities. I think that's a small price I am more than willing to pay for the chance to possibly get some money back and help them keep their servers running without any subscription fee. The other paypal 15% thing has to do with transferring money to paypal and has nothing to do with blizzard. Again, I think its a small price to pay to be able to convert my fake game money into real tangible cash. Diablo has never been a huge pvp game so the whole pay2win thing doesn't really pertain to diablo as much as other games (at least not now anyway) and sale of ingame current has and always will be around. Blizzard is providing a way to do that (which I understand. Not everyone will like or want) while being able to monitor it and keep out all the scams and dupes and various other problems. They aren't forcing you to use the rmah either so you can do everything normal without even touching it.

Tldr I know its not perfect, I know im a fanboy but I still think its better than the other options and things that happened in diablo 2.

Sorry for the wall of text.

All I have to say is that if you support Blizzard for always-on DRM and a auction house in which the players can buy power for multiplayer games throwing all skill out the window... Just no.

I'd rather have Diablo 2, at least it was a skill based game in which the size of your skill counted over the skill of your wallet.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
There was a huuuge "black market" for items in Diablo 2. Skill didn't play as much of a factor in that game, especially with the prevalence of bots and maphack. The "always-on" DRM is not so much for piracy sake as it is for game integrity and marketplace integrity.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Alright the Real Money Auction House has been up for a while now, any thoughts from anyone who plays this still? I'm not a fan of it right now, at least the prices are ridiculous and anything decent immediately sells for $50+. It's good for those that find those items but for the rest of the population who are stuck in Inferno Act I or Act II this just makes the barrier for improving your character that much more difficult.

Considering the drop rates in the game and the ability to sell items on the auction house you can very well consider this gambling. I was thinking about trying to make this my primary role this summer in my free time to see what I could find but that's just gambling away my free time that should be spent better elsewhere. In a sense, right now, I'm gambling in D3 and I'm not sure I like that. I'm afraid to find that one item that I can sell for $250 (my friend just did the other day) and then I'll be hooked...heck I'm hooked just trying to get there right now.

I'm also not a fan of how Blizzard is making a profit on every virtual item sale - granted they need to pay for server costs and maintence but a 15% cut of profits is pretty drastic and adds up quickly for them. It's DLC...blizzard's way

El Diablo

I don't plan on spending money on the game so I kind of see the high prices and peoples willingness to spend that money for items as good for me (and also scary as well) although you do run into a problem when all the good upgrades are on the rah and not so much the gold ah so trying to gear up and get into the later acts may be annoying now.

I know someone who made 45 bucks from an item, I love it and how the possibility is there. Sure its like gambling but if I can have fun playing a game doing the same stuff I did in d2 for years and make the game pay for itself and maybe make some money too, who am I to complain. Here's hoping I can commit to actually finishing getting to 60 and get some nice items in inferno.

Also it sucks about the whole korea situation, although they had issues for years about it so I can't say I was expecting it to actually come out there.