• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Blu-Ray Drive

Dan

Contributor
shiiiiiiiiiiiit.

So i was on my PS3 last week playing Skate2 and then the PS3 froze up, so i tried pressing the PS button but it was stuck, so i turned it on and off again. I tried loading Skate2 up again but there was no disc under the game icon so i thought it would be dust or something... cleaned the disc.. no luck. Tried a full system restore.. no luch. Just the loading bubble in the top-right was stuck there, not doing anything. The only noise i can hear the PS3 make is a few clicky noises when the disc is inserted then nothing. To me it sounds like a Blu-ray drive problem, but has the laser unit copped out of could it just be dirty? And how would i go about cleaning/buying a new unit?

(40GB if that's any help)

Typical, two months after my warranty expires this happens -.-

Thanks in advance.

Sullivan

That really sucks, go out and go buy a CD Lens cleaner. Have you tried other games besides Skate 2? Make sure you get a CD Lens Cleaner for blu ray lens's.

Dan

Contributor
Yeah, i've tried other games (no luck), but i was just wondering if i have to fork out for another laser unit or not.

cheers, i'll try a lens cleaner.

Sullivan

Ya, try a BLUE RAY laser cleaner, and see if that works.

Dan

Contributor
ok, no luck with the Maxell blu-ray cleaner.

I just phoned sony and i gave them all the details and they said it's the blu-ray laser that's actually malfunctioned. They said as it's only soon after warranty, they will extend it and fix my PS3 free of charge, or if not possible, get me a refurbished one :D

Whisper

Logic :(
Customer service at it's finest.

twelve

I'm not dead
Sony customer service is amazing.

I doubt they'll try to fix and return your current one. In my experience they've always sent out a refurb unit and swapped it at the same time they take away your old one. No sending it off and waiting a month like with a 360.

Either way make sure you back up your saves.

Hardrive

Contributor
That's pretty awesome of Sony. It's rare these days that you see a company act with understanding.

user friendly

If it is just the laser it should be quick to just swap the BD drive. I'd rather that than getting a refurb. I'd ask if they can do that instead of just swapping with yours, you'll avoid having to redownload any PSN games you have.

Scorned

Sony customer service is amazing.

I doubt they'll try to fix and return your current one. In my experience they've always sent out a refurb unit and swapped it at the same time they take away your old one. No sending it off and waiting a month like with a 360.

Either way make sure you back up your saves.

Yehp, i had the same exact problem, and i got my PS3 within the week, pretty good.

Dan

Contributor
If it is just the laser it should be quick to just swap the BD drive. I'd rather that than getting a refurb. I'd ask if they can do that instead of just swapping with yours, you'll avoid having to redownload any PSN games you have.

Yeah, i asked that. The guy said he hopes it's not the circuit board thats messed or else a new PS3 for me.