• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Boot menu problems.

This:

29418.png

(not my image)

So i was dual booting windows xp with windows 7 on my eee pc, i decided to get rid of windows 7 and re-install ubuntu. So now the boot menu says windows 7 or click to use other operating systems, if you click that it comes up with windows xp.

Im unable to boot into ubuntu.

halp. :eek:

LocutusEstBorg

Vista/7 uses a new boot loader instead of NTLDR. You can either reinstall XP's NTLDR and chain load GRUB from boot.ini to start Linux. Or install GRUB which can either start Linux or chain load NTLDR to start XP.

To install NTLDR you need to the files NTDETECT.COM, ntldr, and boot.ini in your boot partition. Then you need to obtain an NT bootsector and write it to sector 0 using Diskprobe or something (don't forget to retain the CHS values from your current boot sector). Then add an entry for grldr or whatever your Linux bootloader is in boot.ini. Those bootloader files should still be there on your partition.

Or if you want to boot to GRUB first and then select Windows, just use the GRUB installer which does all the work for you.