• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

broadcom wireless

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
I have a Inspiron 5100 w/ a fresh install of Ubuntu. I can not get the wireless to work. it has a Broadcom 4306 rev 02 in it. I tried the ndiswrapper guide here, and that didn't work. any ideas?

i re installed, so it is a fresh slate for tips.

homaki

EDIT: This used to work back in the days...
Code:
sudo aptitude install bcm43xx-fwcutter
but I think its only available on x86

ChurchedAtheist

mohaas05 said:
You odn't need ndiswrapper. There is a native broadcom driver for Linux.
there is?

where?

ChurchedAtheist

mohaas05 said:
It's called bcm4xx. Like said above you can probably find it on apt.
you mean bcm43xx, and that only allows painfully slow wireless B afaik. never could get it working ne way

mohaas05

I have bcm43xx on my laptop PCMCIA card and it works ok. The only other alternative really is ndiswrapper and that is even less of a chance of getting it to work.

ChurchedAtheist

its pissing me off, because I got it working before w/ ndiswrapper, and this time it doesn't want to work.

mohaas05

Are you installing all the .inf files for your driver? Also did you run ndiswrapper -ma, ndiswrapper -mi, ndiswrapper -m after installing the driver?

Try the bcm43xx driver first. Ndiswrapper should be a last resort.

ChurchedAtheist

alright. im gonna drop the lappy off w/ a nix wiz i know tomorrow. he'll give it back wed(i hope) with the wifi hopefully working. but if not, i'll try those suggestions.

birdman

which version of ubuntu?

my inspiron 1500 had the broadcom driver preinstalled, i just had to activate it under restricted drivers. (my ubuntu was 8.10)

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Old thread - I know.

However, I feel it's important to make this comment.

Install b43, as it works perfectly. It's pretty much an updated bcm43xx, with support for WEP, WPA, and G, and such.

Guide here:
b43 - Linux Wireless

I've used it since I discovered it, and my BCM4306 works like a charm.