• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Broken heatsinc mounting bracket on motherboard

El Diablo

So Last night I was using my PC and everything was fine, shut it down and went to bed. When I woke up this morning I turned on my computer and it stayed on for about 5 seconds and then just shut down. It continued to do this all day and I tried everything I could think of, then went into to try and take out a stick of ram thinking maybe I had a bad one and my finger accidently hit my heatsinc and all of the sudden it fell off my processor and motherboard.

Aparently the clip on the plastic part attached to the motherboard where the metal clip on the heatsinc clips onto snapped. I took the part off in hopes that my old motherboard might have the same screws in the same places and what not and I could attach it but they were different.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy replacement brackets like this? Or if you buy a new heatsinc all together, do they come with their own brackets or ways to mount them without the stock one? Or am I pretty much screwed and I need to buy a new motherboard?

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/8924/img00022201005061824.jpg The part exactly that I am talking about.

Any help would be appreciated.

larryr

First cup of MfM
Are you sure the heat-sink was causing it not to boot? It should boot with or without, I would think. Try booting it without the heatsink. Before you buy anything you should make sure it was causing the issues, so you don't waste money and find out a chip on the mobo goes or something and you have to replace the mobo.

And a thought, does the PC emit any beeps when you turn it on? If so, it could tell you what your problem is.

http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/bootprob2.html

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Are you sure the heat-sink was causing it not to boot? It should boot with or without, I would think. Try booting it without the heatsink. Before you buy anything you should make sure it was causing the issues, so you don't waste money and find out a chip on the mobo goes or something and you have to replace the mobo.

And a thought, does the PC emit any beeps when you turn it on? If so, it could tell you what your problem is.

My PC wouldn't boot without a heatsink (Well, without attached I guess. When I was installing my quad I had forgotten something so when I tuned it on without the cover on it fell off). What happens is the CPU gets so hot so fast that it fails (Whether it's real or computer safe-guard). The heatsink is an absolutely essential part of the computer.

larryr

First cup of MfM
My PC wouldn't boot without a heatsink (Well, without attached I guess. When I was installing my quad I had forgotten something so when I tuned it on without the cover on it fell off). What happens is the CPU gets so hot so fast that it fails (Whether it's real or computer safe-guard). The heatsink is an absolutely essential part of the computer.

Really? I wouldn't have thought that it would heat up that fast, or that the computer would have a fail-safe.

In that case, disregard my previous post.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Really? I wouldn't have thought that it would heat up that fast, or that the computer would have a fail-safe.

In that case, disregard my previous post.

Yeah, CPU's are really hot little things that if the heatsink is even imbalanced it could jeopardize the whole operation, because they cannot handle heat well at all.

El Diablo

Thanks for the link yolarry. I really wish there was some type of computer store at all near me so I could buy it and fix it asap and not have to wait a few days >.>

Bad Idea. The CPU's case will never get rid of the heat fast enough, and will simply hit TJMax and shut off.

There isn't an actual physical sensor for the heatsink AFAIK, so it won't emit a beep code error.

yeah I agree with zero.

Have you ever put any Thermal Compound on that processor or you just clean it? must of been dust block the air flow and made it shut off 5 secs.

El Diablo

There was thermal paste on it but I wiped it off when I took the heatsinc off, the plastic little clip the heatsinc is supposed clip onto just snapped and is barely hanging on in that picture, it was just shutting off after 5 seconds, when I opened my case the heatsinc was just hanging on by the top part. I'm pretty sure that's not good for it and that's why it was shutting off :p.