• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

[BUG] Steam achievement percentage is incorrect

Sachifus

Hello,

I don't really know if this has already been reported but I see on Steam that my average achievements percentage is 20%, and Exophase shows it at 69%.
Do you have any idea why this value is wrong? It is however correct on the other platforms (I think so).

Thank you !

Last edited:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The calculation is different. We don't count games you haven't earned an achievement in yet. Given that you have a lot of games with 0 achievements earned, that is bringing the average down a lot on Steam.

Sachifus

The calculation is different. We don't count games you haven't earned an achievement in yet. Given that you have a lot of games with 0 achievements earned, that is bringing the average down a lot on Steam.
Thank you very much !

A_M_R_Egypt

Steam showcase % actually doesn't calculate games with zero achievements unlocked into the average percentage, and taking a quick look on your profile you most of your games that you actually have unlocked achievements in have very low number of unlocked achievements... hate to say it but your Steam exophase % is the one that is "bugly" too high

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Steam showcase % actually doesn't calculate games with zero achievements unlocked into the average percentage, and taking a quick look on your profile you most of your games that you actually have unlocked achievements in have very low number of unlocked achievements... hate to say it but your Steam exophase % is the one that is "bugly" too high
Are you sure? I thought the showcase didn't count games with 0 achievements, but it definitely is on his profile.

With 0 achievement games not filtered on his profile I get a total of 25545 possible, which divided by 5521 is 21%, nearly the same as Steam.

I don't know if it's because nearly all the games with 0 achievements have actually been played. There are some hours played (0.02-0.03) on most of them.

Edit: If achievements were reset using SAM, that could also be the reason. Steam still seems to factor any achievements that were reset into the average.

Last edited:

A_M_R_Egypt

"Steam Achievement Showcase" calculates "Avg. Game Completion Rate" by summing all the % of the games that has at least 1 achievement unlocked and and then divide that total on the number of those games... you know an average.
I just calculated his and the 20% it is sound, take note that Steam Achievement Showcase does not include games with "Profile Features Limited" in its calculation.

You can take a look at my profile, you will find that I have tons of games that I idled for cards but not a single achievement unlocked in them, Steam doesn't calculate them into its showcase avg. %... I only have 1 "Profile Features Limited" game called Neon Code that I have completed and it has only 6 total achievements.

I'm curious now how exophase calculates the %, mine is about 1.5% higher than my Steam Showcase.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Ah, the site calculates the average differently. It is total achievements earned divided by total achievements possible.

So for his profile, with the 0 achievement games removed, he has 7986 possible achievements and has earned 5521. That comes out to 69.13% (5521/7986).

Anyway, I see how Steam is doing it, taking the average of all completion rates. Some of the other platforms do the same I believe (earned/total possible) so I figured it was the same. Both approaches seem fine to me - though in this case, we're showing a big difference because of the game with 5000 achievements. With that removed the completion goes down to ~17%.

Last edited:

A_M_R_Egypt

Yeah Steam "everything goes" policy let many of those little sad jokes they mistakenly name games miss up many of the leaderboards on Steam achievements tracking sites, and even when Steam added the "Profile Features Limited" hammer many of them escaped it.

Sachifus

Just to clarify one detail: I have never used SAM to add/reset achievements. I also idled a lot of games (that's why a lot of them shows 0.2 hours played) for game cards.

Last edited:

A_M_R_Egypt

Just to clarify one detail: I have never used SAM to add/reset achievements. I also idled a lot of games (that's why a lot of them shows 0.2 hours played) for game cards.
Neither affect Steam showcase %, as you see in this thread the reason your % on Steam is different from Exophase is each calculates things differently.

Sachifus

Neither affect Steam showcase %, as you see in this thread the reason your % on Steam is different from Exophase is each calculates things differently.
Thank you for your help ! :)