• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Building A Notebook

LocutusEstBorg

I have 1920x1200 on a 15" Studio 15 laptop and its insanely hard to read anything. Get a lower resolution than that or increase the zoom level in Windows (it sets it to 125% default for me since it probably detects the physical size somehow).

BlackSheep

The laptop I linked earlier in this thread is on sale btw. So if you're still thinking of buying it, its at a really good price:
ASUS G73JH-X3 Laptop Computer - Intel Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz, 8GB ...
----------------------
Nevermind, its actually a model with a smaller hard drive and no blu ray drive. You could always use the money you save to buy a bigger one, but no blu ray may be a big drawback to you.

I guess im going with a desktop first so where to start the case?

ilyace

I guess im going with a desktop first so where to start the case?

You need to choose a cpu, motherboard, and ram first (then other components like gpu, psu, hdd(s), case, and optical drive(s)). What's your budget for this desktop going to be?

BlackSheep

You need to choose a cpu, motherboard, and ram first (then other components like gpu, psu, hdd(s), case, and optical drive(s)). What's your budget for this desktop going to be?

3.5k not including a printer, keyboard, mouse, speakers

LocutusEstBorg

Rampage II/III Extreme LGA1366 (or any of the boards in that range, frankly it doesn't make a difference).
i7 930/940
Minimum 6GB DDR3 (not well informed about DDR3 yet so do your research).
GTX 480 SLI to be future proof.
Corsair HX1000.
Buy a hardware RAID card, you won't regret it. I'd recommend the 5805 series, PCI-Express.
5x2TB Seagate Barracuda will suffice. Premium HDDs are a waste in RAID.
80/160GB X-25M SSD for OS.

Adiuvo

I'm pretty much being a shill here, but take a look at this case. Decent price and it looks fantastic.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Lian-Li makes some nice cases. You'll have to choose your case last most likely though. If you're going to do SLI 480's then you'll definitely need a longer than normal case to fit the cards (or just make sure the front of the case is unobstructed by hdds or disc drives

El Diablo

You should definitely get a case with a removable motherboard tray, and one where the hard drive bays are facing out of the case (as opposed to the back of it, I don't know the "specific name" for them if there is one) as they will make building a PC a lot easier, especially if it's your first one, as well as giving you easy access to your drives and motherboard should you need to do anything to them. Also as ilyace said, newegg.com is pretty much the best place to go for computer parts. As Frozen said Lian-Li makes a lot of nice cases. They may not all be the snaziest looking cases that will attract the most attention, however they are very good quality.

BlackSheep

Lian-Li makes some nice cases. You'll have to choose your case last most likely though. If you're going to do SLI 480's then you'll definitely need a longer than normal case to fit the cards (or just make sure the front of the case is unobstructed by hdds or disc drives

Since the case isnt frist then what is? What are the best graphic cards out now?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Since the case isnt frist then what is? What are the best graphic cards out now?

You should build the computer around the GPU or CPU setup. In this scenerio, we're looking at possibly doing a SLI GTX 480 setup, so you'll need a motherboard that supports SLI and a processor that won't bottleneck the GPU in games. So if it's GPU first, then GPU --> CPU --> Mobo --> RAM --> PSU --> Case and then the rest.