• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Building New Computer - Need Input

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
So after seeing Greyone upgrade his system I really felt the need to update mine as well, although unlike most people my rig is completely functional and plays all the games I want to just fine. However my roommates wants to buy a new computer and if I can offer him my current system for 700-800$ (with monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers) then I will buy a completely new system for myself :p

Here's what I currently have picked out

Case and PSU (Combo Deal): Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Mobo: Newegg.com - EVGA 121-BL-E756-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 Micro ATX SLI Micro Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
RAM: [STRIKE]Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1333C9 - Desktop Memory[/STRIKE] Newegg.com - OCZ XMP Ready Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3X1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory
GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1171-AR GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Sound Card: Newegg.com - HT OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards
HSF (CPU Fan): Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
DVD Drive: Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVDR DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner with LightScribe LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners
HDD: Will use the 1TB WD I just bought a few weeks ago

I was thinking of getting a Zalman to cool the CPU but after seeing that Greyone was upgrading to the V8 I decided to give it a look over and it seems to be an excellent choice (his Mobo and case was an excellent choice as well :p )

Am I missing anything? This will be my first PC build from scratch :eek:

Seth

MD Party Room
Why not use the bluray drive from your old pc forzen? Also you will be buying new a new monitor as well?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Why not use the bluray drive from your old pc forzen? Also you will be buying new a new monitor as well?

I'll be selling it to my friend and I don't really need a Bluray drive. As far as the monitor goes, I have 4 monitors total (will keep my 2408WFP and use that as a monitor :p )

Cryox

Bro.
I like the case.
$1233.91, not that bad IMO. When I first though about building a computer (still haven't) I was thinking I would have to save closer to $2000.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team

I saw that earlier today from my NewEgg newsletter but I'm not saving much at all on those "deals" and the RAM they used for the more expensive build is...well...expensive.

I just contacted my roommate about buying my current desktop setup and he still has to ask his Dad to see if he could pitch in for it (he's a bum..asking his parents to help pay :p ). I would love to go ahead with this configuration right now but I really have to sell it to him before I jump on this.

Seth

MD Party Room
Well that be the wise thing to do.

LocutusEstBorg

The V8 is a massive cube. It might hit your RAM sticks if the RAM's casing is tall. I have a Thermalright Ultra eXtreme 120mm which is much smaller and my first RAM slot is unusable if the fan is in a push configuration blowing to the back of the case (at least for a Corsair DHX stick).

Also the V8 doesn't have a mounting bracket for the i7 socket. You'll need to buy an LG1366 bracket separately.

What is your desired clock speed? I'd recommend you aim for around 3.8GHz at first. The stock fan on the V8 isn't fast enough. I'd recommend getting a heatsink without a fan and using a 100CFM or more fan. It won't be audible when closed up inside the case.

Why are you NOT getting a Creative X-Fi for a gaming rig? This is a NON-DEBATABLE issue, do not listen to any bullcrap anyone says. Only the X-Fi cards have full EAX5 effects through DirectSound/OpenAL. Any other card supports only EAX2 at most. The surround sound and environmental effects in games are leagues ahead of ANY other non X-Fi card. Yes the Creative drivers are bloatware, but you can safely disable ALL of them from startup and the sound works fine.

You can alternatively get the new Asus Xonar and other cards that EMULATES EAX5, but the effects sound different from a true EAX5 card and noticeably inferior IMO.

Do NOT buy the X-Fi XtremeAudio, its a scam. Its not a true X-Fi and doesn't support many games. Buy only the X-Fi Titanium and above. Or the Auzentech Prelude :p which uses the X-Fi chipset.

I'd recommend you invest in a GTX280 overclocked. The 1GB of RAM will become a requirement in the near future. Current games are already pushing the 800MB mark.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
The V8 is a massive cube. It might hit your RAM sticks if the RAM's casing is tall. I have a Thermalright Ultra eXtreme 120mm which is much smaller and my first RAM slot is unusable if the fan is in a push configuration blowing to the back of the case (at least for a Corsair DHX stick).

Also the V8 doesn't have a mounting bracket for the i7 socket. You'll need to buy an LG1366 bracket separately.

What is your desired clock speed? I'd recommend you aim for around 3.8GHz at first. The stock fan on the V8 isn't fast enough. I'd recommend getting a heatsink without a fan and using a 100CFM or more fan. It won't be audible when closed up inside the case.

Why are you NOT getting a Creative X-Fi for a gaming rig? This is a NON-DEBATABLE issue, do not listen to any bullcrap anyone says. Only the X-Fi cards have full EAX5 effects through DirectSound/OpenAL. Any other card supports only EAX2 at most. The surround sound and environmental effects in games are leagues ahead of ANY other non X-Fi card. Yes the Creative drivers are bloatware, but you can safely disable ALL of them from startup and the sound works fine.

You can alternatively get the new Asus Xonar and other cards that EMULATES EAX5, but the effects sound different from a true EAX5 card and noticeably inferior IMO.

Do NOT buy the X-Fi XtremeAudio, its a scam. Its not a true X-Fi and doesn't support many games. Buy only the X-Fi Titanium and above. Or the Auzentech Prelude :p which uses the X-Fi chipset.

I'd recommend you invest in a GTX280 overclocked. The 1GB of RAM will become a requirement in the near future. Current games are already pushing the 800MB mark.

I read in a review that the LG1366 Bracket is included with the fan.

Review said:
My only complaint so far is that the instructions for the V8 are wrong in that the picture could lead someone to install it upside down. Also, I was led to believe by reading the specs and other reviews that I needed to buy a bracket for the 1366 and this was not true. The 1366 hardware is, in fact, included

I probably won't have any RAM in the first slot on the motherboard I'm getting (since it has 6 slots total, I'm using 3x2gb sticks). So even if it does come close I'll be safe.

My only problem with the XiFi cards is that they're PCIE which is located immediately under the first PCIEx16 slot where my GPU will go, unsure if it will fit well or even if the cooling/air flow will be adequate. If I did go with a XiFi I would grab this one: Newegg.com - Creative 70SB088000004 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express 1x Interface PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Sound Cards

LocutusEstBorg

My only problem with the XiFi cards is that they're PCIE which is located immediately under the first PCIEx16 slot where my GPU will go, unsure if it will fit well or even if the cooling/air flow will be adequate. If I did go with a XiFi I would grab this one: Newegg.com - Creative 70SB088000004 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express 1x Interface PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium - Sound Cards

You will lose the 1x slot with the GTX 275 in the top 16x slot. The X-Fi will work in any PCIe slot so you can put it in the bottom PCIe 16x slot. The X-Fi will be immediately under the GPU this way.

Or you can put the GTX 275 in the bottom 16x slot and put the X-Fi in the top 16x slot. This way there will be a gap of one slot between them, and your 1x slot is also free since the X-Fi won't cover it.

Temperature isn't a problem. My 9800GX2 runs at 107C under load. My X-Fi is immediately above it in the PCI slot, and my RAID card is immediately below it in the second 16x slot. X-Fi and RAID card been working fine for 2 years now.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
You will lose the 1x slot with the GTX 275 in the top 16x slot. The X-Fi will work in any PCIe slot so you can put it in the bottom PCIe 16x slot. The X-Fi will be immediately under the GPU this way.

Or you can put the GTX 275 in the bottom 16x slot and put the X-Fi in the top 16x slot. This way there will be a gap of one slot between them, and your 1x slot is also free since the X-Fi won't cover it.

Temperature isn't a problem. My 9800GX2 runs at 107C under load. My X-Fi is immediately above it in the PCI slot, and my RAID card is immediately below it in the second 16x slot. X-Fi and RAID card been working fine for 2 years now.

Thanks for the info, think I'll go with that then (the X-Fi) and possibly the 280 GTX.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
Just for clarification, the gtx 275 is better than the gtx 280, despite nvidia's weird naming scheme. Plus the gtx 275 will run cooler.

ilyace

You know what would look really sexy instead of a Cooler Master V8 cooler? The TRUE 120 Black (if they have the i7 bracket for them). The TRUE 120 is a damn good cooler. Then to continue the red/black scheme you could get a red led fan (or two in a push/pull setup).

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I've been going over a few case options, just triple checking all my options so if I do end up pulling the trigger I'll be happy with the result for a long time. As a result I started looking and was hoping Lian Li would have a case that fits my style...and they seem to have one :p

Newegg.com - LIAN LI ARMORSUIT PC-P50R Red Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Lian Li launch ARMORSUIT PC-P50R Gaming Mid Tower :: TweakTown

The only issues I see with it is the AMD logo (which I can cover up with an Intel sticker if need be or just leave it alone) and the price (about $100 more than the Scout I plan on getting)

LocutusEstBorg

Just for clarification, the gtx 275 is better than the gtx 280, despite nvidia's weird naming scheme. Plus the gtx 275 will run cooler.

Thats why I mentioned the overclocked 280. ALL of the eVGA GTX 280 SSC's clock speeds are equal to the GTX 275, and the memory speed is much faster.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team

LocutusEstBorg

You ought to know that it isn't a true 16x PCIe which means once you connect one GPU the other ports will only operate on 8 lanes or something. Should be OK for SLi in the future even if it runs at 8x 8x but definitely not for Tri-SLi.