• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Building New Computer - Need Input

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
You ought to know that it isn't a true 16x PCIe which means once you connect one GPU the other ports will only operate on 8 lanes or something. Should be OK for SLi in the future even if it runs at 8x 8x but definitely not for Tri-SLi.

Good to know, although I don't see myself going Tri-Sli (not cost effective IMO yet)

LocutusEstBorg

Just so you know the X-Fi Titanium can't hardware decode AC3/DTS. You'll need to use a software codec for AC3/DTS for your movies. By hardware decoding I mean that you configure your media player to passthrough AC3/DTS via SPDIF; the card intercepts the SPDIF and decodes it to the analog outputs (with presumably better quality and less CPU usage than a software decoder).

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Just so you know the X-Fi Titanium can't hardware decode AC3/DTS. You'll need to use a software codec for AC3/DTS for your movies. By hardware decoding I mean that you configure your media player to passthrough AC3/DTS via SPDIF; the card intercepts the SPDIF and decodes it to the analog outputs (with presumably better quality and less CPU usage than a software decoder).

Thanks for that info, but my speaker system can hardware decode DTS I believe so it's not of major concern for me.

Here's what my final build will look like: Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

I've upgraded my power supply to a 750W one in the end and can get a combo deal with the Coolermaster V8 and i7 920 and save $10 there. I will also get the Lian Li case from Mwave for $50 cheaper so I will save $60 total on the final price that is configured there.

LocutusEstBorg

The GTX 280 you selected is the SC edition which is slower than the GTX 275 (only a couple of MHz on the core clock, not humanly noticeable). Only the SSC edition is faster. Or you could just overclock it yourself....

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
The GTX 280 you selected is the SC edition which is slower than the GTX 275 (only a couple of MHz on the core clock, not humanly noticeable). Only the SSC edition is faster. Or you could just overclock it yourself....

Ok thanks, I'll update my wishlist then

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I took the plunge! Just under $1400 in the end, so hopefully my roommate will buy my current one or I will have zero money by the end of the summer (he'll give me an answer in about 12 days he said).

Do you guys want me to do a video of me putting everything together? It'll be my first time so it will be interesting ;)

explosions

I took the plunge! Just under $1400 in the end, so hopefully my roommate will buy my current one or I will have zero money by the end of the summer (he'll give me an answer in about 12 days he said).

Do you guys want me to do a video of me putting everything together? It'll be my first time so it will be interesting ;)

make a video of you coming out of one of the boxes, and smashing that guy's board.

LocutusEstBorg

make a video of you coming out of one of the boxes, and smashing that guy's board.

LOL N1. Founding members jokes FTW. It'd probably be a really long video since you'll be extra careful putting everything together just right. You're not mass assembling them for customers who couldn't care less about their hardware :p

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
LOL N1. Founding members jokes FTW. It'd probably be a really long video since you'll be extra careful putting everything together just right. You're not mass assembling them for customers who couldn't care less about their hardware :p

Yeah it would be probably an hour long process for me, but I can just tape the whole thing and speed it up if need be ;)

Also explosions you win some brownie points...I might just do that for you.

A bit bad news though, my debit card declined the transaction for some reason so I'm trying to look into that now, might end up using my Mom's CC if it comes down to it

explosions

Yeah it would be probably an hour long process for me, but I can just tape the whole thing and speed it up if need be ;)

It took me around a half hour for my first build. Of course, I had been completely disassembling/reassembling computers before that. (Gotta love county auctions. Where this computer came from, actually. $10/ pallet :D)

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
It took me around a half hour for my first build. Of course, I had been completely disassembling/reassembling computers before that. (Gotta love county auctions. Where this computer came from, actually. $10/ pallet :D)

Yeah I'm not expecting this to take 1hr at all, that's just a safe estimate for my first build. I found out why I was declined, I'm not allowed to charge over $1000 in one calendar day so I ordered $993 worth today and will order the rest tomorrow morning ;)

EDIT: Just for clarification, you would like me to hop out of a box and break a board using a flying side kick?

LocutusEstBorg

Yeah I'm not expecting this to take 1hr at all, that's just a safe estimate for my first build. I found out why I was declined, I'm not allowed to charge over $1000 in one calendar day so I ordered $993 worth today and will order the rest tomorrow morning ;)

EDIT: Just for clarification, you would like me to hop out of a box and break a board using a flying side kick?

Trust me it takes longer than an hour if you try to do everything perfectly.

You could probably jump out of the PC Case's box, seems big enough :X
That would make an epic thread for all the old members if you manage to make a video of it.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Yeah I'm not expecting this to take 1hr at all, that's just a safe estimate for my first build. [HIGHLIGHT]I found out why I was declined, I'm not allowed to charge over $1000[/HIGHLIGHT] in one calendar day so I ordered $993 worth today and will order the rest tomorrow morning ;)

You should be able to just call up the bank and have the limit raised. The first time I encountered that years ago I went ape shit to a phone representative. "What do you mean I can't spend my money!?!"

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I've been going over a few case options, just triple checking all my options so if I do end up pulling the trigger I'll be happy with the result for a long time. As a result I started looking and was hoping Lian Li would have a case that fits my style...and they seem to have one :p

Newegg.com - LIAN LI ARMORSUIT PC-P50R Red Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Lian Li launch ARMORSUIT PC-P50R Gaming Mid Tower :: TweakTown

The only issues I see with it is the AMD logo (which I can cover up with an Intel sticker if need be or just leave it alone) and the price (about $100 more than the Scout I plan on getting)

That is a DAAAAAMM nice case.
Makes my CM-690 look very plain :(

twelve

I'm not dead
I'd never spend that much on a case. I thought my Titan 650 was expensive; and thats after the guy agreed to sell it to me without the PSU at a cheaper rate!
I spent more than that on my case, but that's because it's a shuttle barebones system.

My other case cost similar at the time (exchange rate now makes it cheaper). But it does have a 6mm thick piece of brushed Aluminium across the front.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I'd never spend that much on a case. I thought my Titan 650 was expensive; and thats after the guy agreed to sell it to me without the PSU at a cheaper rate!

Personally, I wouldn't either, I'd go for the PC-P50 instead. It is very nice though :)