• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Building New Computer - Need Input

Moose

Meta Moose
Right. I've read the above two posts (thank you for posting) and decided to go with Torch's advice and get an E8400 with DDR2 rather than an i5 with DDR3. You both seem to think that the 5850 would be the best GPU for what I want to do so I am also going to try and get my hands on one of those.

Here is what I am looking at:

Memory: Scan.co.uk: TWIN2X2048-8500C5D - 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator, PC2-8500 (1066), 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 5

PSU: Scan.co.uk: 500W Silverstone Strider ST50F Silent 120mm Fan Dual +12V, 80%+ Eff'

CPU: Scan.co.uk: BX80570E8400A - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, S775, Wolfdale, 3 GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 6MB Cache, 9x Ratio, 65W, Retail

Motherboard: Scan.co.uk: Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Intel P45, S775, PCI-E 2.0(x16 ...

CPU Cooler: Scan.co.uk: Scan.co.uk - Award winning supplier, performance hardware systems
Need advice on this. I couldn't find the exact ones you linked to above, Torch, but do you think this will do the job?

Case: NZXT Lexa S, Black Mid Tower Case w/o PSU - Scan.co.uk
Case includes 3 x 120mm, 1 x 140mm.

GPU: Scan.co.uk: GV-R585D5-1GD-B - 1GB Gigabyte HD 5850, PCI-E 2.0(x16), 4000MHz GDDR5, GPU 725MHz, 1440 Cores, DP/ 2x DL DVI-I/ HDMI

Any suggestions? Ideas?

LocutusEstBorg

I meant get the e8400 only if you absolutely must compromise to get the 5850. The 5850 overclocks really well even at high ambient temps, see my sig. It's been a while and prices would have dropped. See if you can get the i5 as well.

And buy only matched pairs of RAM like TWIN2x4096, not separate 2x1GiB packages. OCing 4 sticks is much harder on the northbridge and most boards can't achieve a good overclock unless you have an X38/X48/P45 with adequate northbridge cooling. My NB runs as hot as 70C.

Prolimatech are the same Thermalright guys I believe. They have a 120mm that is exactly the same as the TRUE120. Get the Panaflo fan I mentioned. Buy it from elsewhere if you have to.

explosions

Seth

MD Party Room
Do you have a price range?

LocutusEstBorg

Didn't notice your PSU. It probably won't hold up once you've OCed the CPU and GPU. As it wears out over the months 500W won't be able to keep everything stable.

Moose

Meta Moose
What's the risk of damaging the components when overclocking? I mean... will that setup be able to play most games without being overclocked?

LocutusEstBorg

Practically zero. Given the current components available in the market it's foolish not to overclock. The northbridge can take a lot of voltage if you have a big enough fan to keep it cool. Rear case fan helps a lot with northbridge temp. The Intel rated maximum voltage for the E8400 is 1.3625v which is more than sufficient to OC a lot. Mobos are officially rated at insane FSBs. RAM doesn't have an official maximum speed, only a maximum access rate. If your increase RAM speed more than a little you must increase latency to compensate. So basically your RAM isn't overclocked much.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
What's the risk of damaging the components when overclocking? I mean... will that setup be able to play most games without being overclocked?

It's only risky if you don't know what you're doing or think that pumping 1.7V through a CPU is a good idea.

As for the setup, it should handle nearly anything you throw at it with ease.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Audio trouble can't compare to safe overclocking. :|

Of course, but he didn't say anything about overclocking. Gigabyte boards are decent, but I prefer Asus for OC'ing.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I never oc anything expect the EP45-UD3P just to see if the easy tune software will work and it did.

Made Q9400 go up to 3.44ghz so far.

Update: tested Level 3 with MW2 PC. 3.60Ghz FSB 1800mhz.

a 1800MHz FSB?

...WHAT?
how is your pc not a smoldering pile of silicon?

Hell I dont know much of oc and I always set it back to default after 10-15 mins so I wont kill it.

This program got 3 Levels of easy to oc. So I try one.

capturegi.jpg

You'd be much better with a BIOS overclock, they're safer, more stable, and the proper way to perform an overclock. Secondly, you need to check the other components when you perform such an OC, because the FSB affects all of your components, your RAM, your GPU included. Also, don't let software like that guess correct settings, find them out accurately. This software may be pushing your voltages to unsafe levels just to maintain stability, without your knowledge.