• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Buying a New Heatsink

Moose

Meta Moose
I'm running a non-overclocked Intel Q6600 Quad at the moment with a stock cooler and I seem to be experiencing rather high idle temperatures (around 48 degrees) so I reckon either the airflow in my case sucks or I need a new CPU cooler.

I bought the CPU, cooler, and mobo off my bro when he built a new rig, so it may be that I knocked the heatsink when installing it into my new case (I never removed the CPU or heatsink from the motherboard).

I have around

Adiuvo

I've had both. I used the A70 for my main rig until I got a NH-D14 and it worked well for an i7 950 @ 4.00ghz. It'll be amazing for a Q6600.

I'm currently using the A50 on my parent's computer with a Q9300. The ambient there is around 80F-83F but the load temps are quite low. I can check exact temps if you want.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Staff member
Might pony up and get one myself. My current HSF combo isn't holding up too well. CPU at idle is around 30C (although downclocked), around 55/60C at full load. It's a really old heatsink though that I originally had on a socket939 board. Think it's a Coolermaster Hyper TX2.

Moose

Meta Moose
Maybe I'll stall getting the 120mm fans and just grab an A70 to see if the problem lies entirely with the heatsink. I want to get overclocking soon... I tried it this morning with 333x9 (the Q6600 clocks at 2.4GHz stock) - just for fun, really - and my idle temps shot up to around 59, so I just reverted back straight away.

@Menace: I'd be more than happy with 30C idle, but that would mean dropping just under 20C from what I get now. I'm not looking for anything spectacular, I'm just not happy with idle temps of around 48C (as you can imagine).

EDIT: Thanks for the help, Adiuvo.