• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Buying new computer/building.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
AMD? Are you kidding?

And what pray tell is wrong with AMD?
Yes, Intel CPU's are generally faster but for the most part, if you could compare the performance you get for the amount of money you pay, "bang for buck", AMD would be a better choice.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Get the 5770 for a video card at that res. It's more than powerful enough and supports DX11. Only need a 5850 or higher if you plan on gaming at 1080p and above resolutions. ATM I wouldn't recommend any Nvidia cards, ATI basically dominate the market right now.

For CPU the i5 is a good choice, but apparently there are some issues with overclocking it. Many people are burning out their sockets from overclocking, just do a Google search. The issue is very widespread and currently affects all 1166 socket motherboards. If you plan on overclocking definitely get the i7 920.

Bill

And what pray tell is wrong with AMD?
Yes, Intel CPU's are generally faster but for the most part, if you could compare the performance you get for the amount of money you pay, "bang for buck", AMD would be a better choice.

Exactly. That is AMD's current top-of-the-line CPU, and it is quite cheap. It also overclocks very nicely (although if your an overclock enthusiast, i7 is undoubtedly better).

Only need a 5850 or higher if you plan on gaming at 1080p and above resolutions.

I've also been hearing of fan problems around the 5850; people say the fans are somewhat noisy, and unless your going to be showing off the comp at a show/benchmarking, there's no real reason to deal with that.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I've also been hearing of fan problems around the 5850; people say the fans are somewhat noisy, and unless your going to be showing off the comp at a show/benchmarking, there's no real reason to deal with that.

Isolated incidents probably. The cooling on the 5850/5870 is the same and my 5870 is very quiet. But yeah, for his needs, anything higher than a 5770 is overkill.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
AMD? Are you kidding?

At the amount of money he's willing to spend, an AMD Phenom II is a decent choice. There's nothing wrong with AMD, they're just as good as Intel at the entry and mid-range levels.

ilyace

At the amount of money he's willing to spend, an AMD Phenom II is a decent choice. There's nothing wrong with AMD, they're just as good as Intel at the entry and mid-range levels.

Going with AMD with a budget of $1200 is retarded. U sir are wrong !!!

Bill

Going with AMD with a budget of $1200 is retarded. U sir are wrong !!!

He said he can spend up to $1200. I SERIOUSLY doubt that if he can get an AMD system that will do everything he needs it to do (game) for a quite decent price, that he's going to go out and buy a benchmark-killing i7.

Once again: his MAX price is $1200. If he can save, he more than likely will.

Also: This guy was thinking of buying an OEM system. You REALLY think he's very interested in overclocking/benching?

explosions

He said he can spend up to $1200. I SERIOUSLY doubt that if he can get an AMD system that will do everything he needs it to do (game) for a quite decent price, that he's going to go out and buy a benchmark-killing i7.

Once again: his MAX price is $1200. If he can save, he more than likely will.

Also: This guy was thinking of buying an OEM system. You REALLY think he's very interested in overclocking/benching?

I believe that you, sir, have been trolled.