• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Buying new computer/building.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
So guys I need computer that cost around 1200$ no bigger then that. (1200$ limit)
I want able play fallout3,call of duty mw2,call of duty4 max settings is possible 1440x900 screen etc you know.

I never really learn anything for shopping for pc, I been upgrading my old one for about 3-4years now which was a gift.

Someone also told me build computer.
Only problem with that I would need get everything from pc shops,best buy pretty much retail stores.

-limit 1200$
-So what is the best Pc get around my budget?
-Is it possible build my own custom pc on this limit?
-If I build custom pc I must build everything from local shops but I need good fix'd idea on prices.
-keep in mind I do want play fallout3
-If needed I can try get extra 100$

Any ideas?

In before alienware cost waay 2 much.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
Aiming tours the h.p touch
(pretty much sold with the touch screen and remote and fact it has t.v tunner and I want clear much space in my room)

Nooby question, what are the difference between the quad cores and i7?
I seen i7 cores on few pc on dell....

2nd question

Hp touch
-Processor Type AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 240e
-Processor Speed 2.8GHz
-Graphic card?? is there one
-How would I upgrade inside a h.p touch?

Doesn't call of duty mw2 require 3.0ghz?

B

Bizarre

I can't help with the cores but if you want to customize your PC you would have to call the manufacture, in this case HP and order off there.

James.

User Not Found
Aiming tours the h.p touch
(pretty much sold with the touch screen and remote and fact it has t.v tunner and I want clear much space in my room)

Nooby question, what are the difference between the quad cores and i7?
I seen i7 cores on few pc on dell....

2nd question

Hp touch
-Processor Type AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 240e
-Processor Speed 2.8GHz
-Graphic card?? is there one
-How would I upgrade inside a h.p touch?

Doesn't call of duty mw2 require 3.0ghz?
I just clicked "Specifications" on that page:
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3200
Dedicated Video Memory No
Shared Video Memory Yes - Up To 1919 MB
TV Tuner HDTV Tuner
Video Memory 128 MB
I don't think thats good enough (I don't know much about graphics though)

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
Thanks
Anyone else ideas?

@
James

Thanks

Also if i'm not wrong I can overclock? Which would help run call of duty.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
You could easily build a absolutely kickass computer to run those games full settings at 1440x900 with $1200. Unfortunately if it HAS to be local shops then wouldn't be able to do much since you'd be limited to stock availability and the prices they set.
I would not however recommend a pre-built computer. just better to build it yourself as long as you know how.

not sure how you feel about newegg but here's a few items from there...

CPU: Intel i7-860 2.8GHz LGA1156 $289.99
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D Deluxe $219.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) $139.99
GFX: ASUS 5870 w/ DIRT2 $389.99

Total: $1039.96

that's before including a new case or a new HD but you would be able to reuse your old stuff there anyway I'm sure :p

EDIT: Just so you know, this build I've put together here would EASILY kick all of those games asses at 1440x900...hell it would be able to run Crysis at full settings easily :p

James.

User Not Found
I would not however recommend a pre-built computer. just better to build it yourself as long as you know how.

This

EDIT: MW2 needs 3.2GHz on a SINGLE CORE processor. Afaik cod 4 needed 2.4GHz single core, but only 1.8GHz dual core

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
You could easily build a absolutely kickass computer to run those games full settings at 1440x900 with $1200. Unfortunately if it HAS to be local shops then wouldn't be able to do much since you'd be limited to stock availability and the prices they set.

not sure how you feel about newegg but here's a few items from there...

CPU: Intel i7-860 2.8GHz LGA1156 $289.99
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D Deluxe $219.99
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 4GB (2 x 2GB) $139.99
GFX: ASUS 5870 w/ DIRT2 $389.99

Total: $1039.96

that's before including a new case or a new HD but you would be able to reuse your old stuff there anyway I'm sure :p

EDIT: Just so you know, this build I've put together here would EASILY kick all of those games asses at 1440x900...hell it would be able to run Crysis at full settings easily :p
Dude... you're the best.:cry:

So i'm going go with the custom build.
Thanks
Edit-forgot mention i'm building this dec/or after new years hopefully there be some discounts

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
My computer science professor swears by http://www.tigerdirect.com
We even went through the site today and he showed us how "awesome" it is, but I didn't pay attention.
I really have no opinion on the site, I've barely looked at it, but I'm just letting you know it exists and it's supposedly as good as newegg or better, according to my professor.

This

EDIT: MW2 needs 3.2GHz on a SINGLE CORE processor. Afaik cod 4 needed 2.4GHz single core, but only 1.8GHz dual core

That's by Pentium 4 standards, correct? Clock rate is not the only indicator of CPU performance. Quite a few Core 2's @ 2.2 GHz can trump a 4GHz P4 on Single Threaded performance.

Just saying, don't always go for higher clock rate processor, they're not always better.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
This

So pretty much,I'll be alright with i7 core 2.8ghz?

Looking at few other graphics card, is it possible switch out for nvidia graphic card?
Not sure if this better then the radeon BFG - NVIDIA GeForce 260 GTX OC MAXCORE 55 896MB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card - BFGRGTX260MC896OCDE

I'm totaly looking at prices here its about 100$ off from the radeon.
But would this able get max settings everything? I'm still trying go for max settings on call of duty4,and mw2.

What my local stores have so far

-Intel i7 860 @ 2.8ghz
-P7P55D Delux

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
AMD for low cost
Intel for better quality

Both builds regardless will give you alot of power if you have the right parts

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
Wait dose this mainboard only take "sata?"
I never work with sata is there video or something explaining how put everything together?

Guess this also means I need new power supply hardrive/dvd drive

MenaceInc

Staff Member
So pretty much,I'll be alright with i7 core 2.8ghz?

Looking at few other graphics card, is it possible switch out for nvidia graphic card?
Not sure if this better then the radeon BFG - NVIDIA GeForce 260 GTX OC MAXCORE 55 896MB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card - BFGRGTX260MC896OCDE

I'm totaly looking at prices here its about 100$ off from the radeon.
But would this able get max settings everything? I'm still trying go for max settings on call of duty4,and mw2.

What my local stores have so far

-Intel i7 860 @ 2.8ghz
-P7P55D Delux

While the 260 GTX is a good card, it can easily be bested by the 5870.

Review article for the 5870

Benchmark comparasion for the 5870

Now, in the benchmark above notice that the 260 isn't even listed, the closest would be the 285 which the 5870 beats with a margin of 40%. Considering that even the 285 would offer a lot better performance than the 260, I'd say the 5870 was worth it but it is up to yourself.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM EST ----------

Wait dose this mainboard only take "sata?"
I never work with sata is there video or something explaining how put everything together?

Guess this also means I need new power supply hardrive/dvd drive

There's one PATA port on it so you could keep the DVD drive but I thought you would of had a SATA harddrive already. You could get a 1TB SATA drive for cheap as well

infact,
WD Caviar Black 2TB $299.99

It wouldn't be anywhere near as fast as a SSD but that's a hell of a lot of fast storage there. and it'd work out at just under 7GB/$

For the more budget minded, there's this
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB $84.99

It's not as fast as the WD drive but it costs a fraction of the price. I personally have this drive and can heartedly recommend it, very nice, quick drive and quiet as well. it works out at just under 12GB/$ too.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
Asking few more things

AMD Athlon™ II X4 Quad-Core Processor

Good bad, any better then i7?
Or not, still good for call of duty mw2?

@MenaceInc

Thx once more.
-----
I didn't really offical decide anything till after new years now.
I should have better budget by then to work with

Pretty much trying work everything out before then so I know what to buy.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
My computer science professor swears by http://www.tigerdirect.com
We even went through the site today and he showed us how "awesome" it is, but I didn't pay attention.
I really have no opinion on the site, I've barely looked at it, but I'm just letting you know it exists and it's supposedly as good as newegg or better, according to my professor.

Your professor lies.

Ever since TigerDirect changed its name to CompUSA, I've learned to not like it.

Plus, Newegg is usually cheaper than TD. The only reason for anybody to shop there is if you actually have a store of theirs near by, which I do. They rarely offer free shipping (unlike Newegg) and their stuff is usually more expensive.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I would suggest building an Intel Core i5 system for around that price with probably an Nvidia 275 GTX. I built an i7 right for just over $1300 a few months ago (specs in signature) but I also got an expensive case and didn't need a HDD. i5 systems should be cheaper. I'll see if I can spec one out on NewEgg for you.

Here's a very quick one I threw together: Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Bill

explosions