• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

buying new pc?

CaLiRaIsEd23

i want it to play the sims 3...i was looking at dell xps 625?...does it have to be a gaming pc to play the sims 3? or can i find a cheaper one that will run sims 3 really good?

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
i want it to play the sims 3...i was looking at dell xps 625?...does it have to be a gaming pc to play the sims 3? or can i find a cheaper one that will run sims 3 really good?

No, it doesn't need to be a gaming pc.

To help you, we really need to know your price range, that way we can get you the best deal.

Greyone

"i have monitor and everything" << what else are you going to reuse ?

would you be interested in building your own ? you can get a lot more that way

Hardrive

Contributor
would you be interested in building your own ? you can get a lot more that way

I was just going to suggest that. Not only do you save a little money building your own, you get better components, you learn a bit, and it's fun (imo) to build a computer up from square one.

Seth

MD Party Room
A simple 500 pc can run the sims 3 lol.

So do you want to go pre build? Or self Build?

CaLiRaIsEd23

um i was thinking of building my own but i dont know much about computers ...and i heard that there is not a lot i can change on my HP a706n

CASHMON3Y

Building a computer is very simple, I dont know why it was made out to be hard. All you need to do is first get a price range, then check out a computer store (newegg.com), and find all the parts you need (CPU, motherboard, RAM, PSU, HDD's, disk drives), and make sure they are all compatible, then putting them to together is even easier, all the parts have different ends, so you cant plug anything in wrong. I will make an example setup based around your $700 price tag.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM EST ----------

Heres a setup built around your $700 price tag, it comes out to $698.92 before shipping, it would be less if you decide to reuse your old DVD drive.
Case
Processor
Hard drive
Optical
Motherboard
RAM
Graphics card
Power supply

Hardrive

Contributor
Building a computer is very simple, I dont know why it was made out to be hard. All you need to do is first get a price range, then check out a computer store (newegg.com), and find all the parts you need (CPU, motherboard, RAM, PSU, HDD's, disk drives), and make sure they are all compatible, then putting them to together is even easier, all the parts have different ends, so you cant plug anything in wrong. I will make an example setup based around your $700 price tag.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM EST ----------

Heres a setup built around your $700 price tag, it comes out to $698.92 before shipping, it would be less if you decide to reuse your old DVD drive.
Case
Processor
Hard drive
Optical
Motherboard
RAM
Graphics card
Power supply

Just clicked through the pieces really quickly. That's a solid system.

Greyone

Case
Processor
Hard drive
Optical
Motherboard
RAM
Graphics card
Power supply

wow, that's the same thing i was picking out for him, very good parts

only thing i would change would be the motherboard Newegg.com - EVGA 122-YW-E173-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
It supports sli, so you could have 2 gfx cards if you wanted more performance in the future.

iicii

Case
Processor
Hard drive
Optical
Motherboard
RAM
Graphics card
Power supply

9800 GTX ? a 8800 GTX would be good enough for sims

if i was u then i would buy a pc system on ebay they have nice and cheap computers there :D

Greyone

9800 GTX ? a 8800 GTX would be good enough for sims

if i was u then i would buy a pc system on ebay they have nice and cheap computers there :D

Please don't try to help, you clearly know nothing. Computers are way cheaper if you build them yourself, no matter where you get them. Also, not only do they not make 8800gtx's, but the 9800gtx is essentially the same card, just slightly better.

LocutusEstBorg

Please don't try to help, you clearly know nothing. Computers are way cheaper if you build them yourself, no matter where you get them. Also, not only do they not make 8800gtx's, but the 9800gtx is essentially the same card, just slightly better.

No the 8800GTX destroys the 9800GTX when it comes to 4x AA. Playing without AA is like listening to music on 5$ earphones.

I would recommend getting a much cheaper CPU like the E7300 and OCing to 3.0GHz. It has a 10x multiplier and runs at 266MHz FSB. Which means almost ANY motherboard can run it at 333x10MHz WITHOUT any extra strain on the board, as 333 would be the officially supported speed of the board. Spend the extra 100$ on a better GPU.

Greyone

that computers you guys built for me ..all the parts will work together right?

yeah, otherwise we wouldn't have recommended them to you :p

Will you need windows ? or will you just take it off your current computer ?

One thing you may want to do is just use Windows 7 RC1 until Windows 7 actually comes out, buying vista or xp right now would be a waste of money. The beta lasts till next year i think.

CaLiRaIsEd23

soo i came up with 600 dollars after i put all my saved money together....if anyone wants to put together a good 600 dollar pc...ill appreciate the help

Hardrive

Contributor
No the 8800GTX destroys the 9800GTX when it comes to 4x AA. Playing without AA is like listening to music on 5$ earphones.

But recommending the 8800 GTX is the wrong move in this case. That is a high end, expensive card. Plus, you can't get it on Newegg anymore.

For playing the Sims 3 (and many other games), the 9800 GTX should do well. Especially with his new price requirements.