• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Call of Duty: World at War

Moose

Meta Moose
Has anybody played the beta of this? I'm looking forward to it, but I just hope it doesn't play like a skinned CoD4.

A ton of pictures can be found here.

It looks real nice, I've always had a thing for World War games, and I think there has been a lack of them recently.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
It plays like a skinned COD4 with a bit of the old action COD2/3 gameplay really. Search for beta video on Youtube, I've uploaded two videos there of me playing the game

Serideth

I saw Ipaqs vids, I think it looks pretty much like CoD 4 with a new skin, almost like a fan mod. I will however be buying it since I have loved the online play in almost all the CoD games.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Pixel Princess said:
I saw Ipaqs vids, I think it looks pretty much like CoD 4 with a new skin, almost like a fan mod. I will however be buying it since I have loved the online play in almost all the CoD games.

I have better video of me playing but haven't had the chance to upload that either as it's a solid 10min of gameplay I think

twelve

I'm not dead
Klick said it's disapointing. He said Treyarch should stop trying FPS' and move onto a different genre.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Pixel Princess said:
I still don't understand why they went back to WW2.

This is what made it fail in my opinion. The game is pretty solid although some of the movements seem slugish (like throwing a grenade). The archaic (sp?) guns really take away from the gameplay. People want to fight in the modern time, modern warefare was a step in the right direction (and a very good one at that) but this game is just stepping back.

It's very much a re-done COD4

Serideth

FrozenIpaq said:
This is what made it fail in my opinion. The game is pretty solid although some of the movements seem slugish (like throwing a grenade). The archaic (sp?) guns really take away from the gameplay. People want to fight in the modern time, modern warefare was a step in the right direction (and a very good one at that) but this game is just stepping back.

It's very much a re-done COD4
Well even WW1 would of been nice for a change, there was a HL1 mod called the trenches and it was awesome, it played so different than anything else because you couldn't just spray everywhere, all the rifles were bolt action so if you missed you were a dead man walking! I really think if they wanted to stick to old school they should of done anything but WW2, then I wouldn't be so sick of things like this, just by watching your videos I feel like I have played it and I'm bored.

Moose

Meta Moose
Yeah, I would love to see a WW1 game... Much more accuracy needed, and like you said, it would be more than just pointing and spraying.

Serideth

Moose said:
Yeah, I would love to see a WW1 game... Much more accuracy needed, and like you said, it would be more than just pointing and spraying.
Yeah, it's just so different, The Trenches was only a Beta so it only had a few maps and a handful of weapons but it was so good that my mate and I played it again and again and again.

Granite

Hardcore Prawn
Oddly enough i thought i would be hating on this game left right and center...
But im actually loving this game more than CoD4, the gun's aer okay and the maps are very differant and im having a good time playing it.
But im a bit unsure why this was capped at level 11 \:
I mean yeah 20 or 25 would'nt have hurt i mean jeesh this game goes to 65 now :p

Joey

Just to set the record straight, Treyarch didn't "go back" to WW2, since they started the game immediately after finishing COD3. COD4 was still less than a year in development, so they probably weren't aware of Infinity Ward's decision, and they certainly weren't aware of how successful it would be.

Savagefreak

$ ./savage.sh
Imo a CoD4 like game with more options, better graphics, more weapons and maps would be nicer.
I'll get this when it will be like 30.- or something.

_Syn

I think we just need a bit of time to adjust to the fact that its WWII again. I like it.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
Like twelve said, I think it's disappointing. That being said there's nothing "bad" about it, it's just lackluster when you compare it to the awesomeness that was CoD4. And as Frozen mentioned, everything feels sluggish. The only improvement I think was that sniping feels a lot smoother, but the knifing actions and such just look stupid.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
Its the only thing I play since I accidentally kept my COD4 disc in the 360 when I return it.
just notice it was gone..D:

_Syn

Pokemanz master said:
Its the only thing I play since I accidentally kept my COD4 disc in the 360 when I return it.
just notice it was gone..D:

Ouch, you're stuck with this for now.

Let me ask a question as I am too lazy to search around the internet. What was the initial reaction of people when Modern Warfare was introduced in the Call of Duty series?

TheMasterChef

The Groove Jesus
Moose said:
It looks real nice, I've always had a thing for World War games, and I think there has been a lack of them recently.

You're kidding, right??

Anyways, I like the game. Brought back some fav weapons, but it is kind of lackluster. They kept it in the CoD4 layout because they saw that CoD4 was a sellout.