• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

Can Admins Manually Change Game Icons?

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
So I know adding a user option for uploading game icons is in the works, but in the meantime is it possible for site admins to go in manually and change them? I just thought it might be a cool community project to have a thread similar to the Game Database Additions & Corrections thread where users can submit icons to replace bad ones in the database. Some are cropped badly, many of the retro icons are squashed/stretched and even some of the PlayStation icons are missing logos or just plain bad.

It might also be a good idea to run the thread as a sort of trial run before the user submission feature is implemented, to figure out some guidelines for user made icons and such.

Here's a screenshot of a folder of some icons I've made:
Untitled-2.png

I've been using 288 x 158 for these but if the site uses larger source images let me know.

Obviously right now more than ever lots of us are stuck at home looking for things to do and ways to be creative, so it might be a particularly good time for this sort of thing?
Feedback on the icons is also welcome.

Sachifus

Very good idea! I agree :)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Yes, we can. Feel free to upload the icons here as an attachment and we'll get them added. Also, 288 x 158 is fine for the size. Thanks :)

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
Yes, we can. Feel free to upload the icons here as an attachment and we'll get them added. Also, 288 x 158 is fine for the size. Thanks :)

Oh awesome! You'll probably want to set up an official sticky thread at some point but I'll upload them here until then :)

Burnout Revenge
burnout-revenge-png.10375

Crash Bash
Crash Bash.png

Geometry War 2
Geometry Wars 2.png

NieR:Automata BECOME AS GODS Edition
Nier Automata BAGE.png

Sonic Battle
Sonic Battle.png

SONIC FORCES (PS4)
SONIC FORCES (XONE)
Sonic Forces (STEAM)

Sonic Forces.png

SOULCALIBUR (360)
SOULCALIBUR (G PLAY)

SoulCalibur I.png

SOULCALIBUR II HD Online (360)
SOULCALIBUR II HD ONLINE (PS3)

SoulCalibur II HD Online.png

Soulcalibur IV
SoulCalibur IV.png

SOULCALIBUR VI (XONE)
SOULCALIBUR VI (PS4)
SOULCALIBUR VI (STEAM)

SoulCalibur VI.png

I'll leave the Tekken icons until I've made a full set, I wanna make sure they look good together.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Burnout Revenge.png
    Burnout Revenge.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 73

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
Hey so how do we feel about icons that are just the game logo on a transparent background? Sometimes PS3/PS4 icons are like that. On the one hand they're very easy to make when the logos can be found. On the other hand they kind of stick out a bit compared to standard icons and often icons look better with box art elements or some kind of background behind the logo.

Partly asking because I just made some Sonic icons and some of the Sonic games on PS3/PS4 have the transparent logo icons. I made icons with backgrounds so they're consistent for the non-PlayStation platforms but I'm wondering if we should also replace the transparent ones (since I've already made those icons anyway) or leave them be.

I know I'm putting WAY too much thought into this but it's an odd conundrum. Thoughts?

Anyway here are those Sonic icons:

Sonic Adventure (360)
Sonic Adventure (PS3)

Sonic Adventure 1.png

Sonic Adventure 2 (360)
Sonic Adventure 2 (Steam)
Sonic Adventure 2 (PS3)
<- Only if you want to replace transparent icon

Sonic Adventure 2.png

SONIC UNLEASHED (360)
SONIC UNLEASHED (PS3)

Sonic Unleashed.png

SONIC GENERATIONS (360)
Sonic Generations (Steam)
Sonic Generations (PS3)

Sonic Generations.png

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Those icons are updated now! As for the transparent ones, we can replace those too. While not as big of a deal to me as fixing the ones with cropping issues, I feel we might as well keep the icons consistent across platforms if possible.

I created a sticky thread now, you can upload additional icons there: https://forums.exophase.com/threads/game-icon-submissions.46927/

Thanks :) Let me know if you think there's anything else I should add to the guidelines.

CaptainScarLeg

Staff member
Game Info Editor
Those icons are updated now! As for the transparent ones, we can replace those too. While not as big of a deal to me as fixing the ones with cropping issues, I feel we might as well keep the icons consistent across platforms if possible.

I created a sticky thread now, you can upload additional icons there: https://forums.exophase.com/threads/game-icon-submissions.46927/

Thanks :) Let me know if you think there's anything else I should add to the guidelines.
Nice, thanks! Good icons make the game lists look so much nicer.

As for guidelines I'd suggest making the primary focus of the icon the game logo and to only use official artwork/box art/etc. and no fan art. Other than that it looks good but I'll let you know if I think of anything else.