• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Can't overclock my processor

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
I've read you need to access the bios and all. I can access the bios, but, for some reason, I can't access any options that deal with the processor.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
It would help us if you told us about your computer (custom made? manufacturer pre-made?) as well as the motherboard you have. Most pre-built computers are unable to be overclocked because of a custom mobo and other crap (My Dell XPS is an example of that...)

Sullivan

To start also, did you change anything? That vcore seems really high almost 1.5 volts going through the CPU.

Sullivan

Umm... i wouldn't do anything else. You need to make sure you run a temperature monitor on your stuff and stress the setup, as it may over heat.
I suggest you don't even try to overclock, as the PC is premade, it will have a crappy stock CPU cooler. And they don't cool very well when OCing.

Have you ran a scan on the graphics card for artifacts and tested the temps?

Sullivan

umm... how are you going to tell that? What are you using?

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
Well...
1-I's like that for almost an year and I never had problems.
2-I didn't make a big over-clock (mygraphics card is crappy, Ij ust gotta accept that T_T)
3-The air coming from the fans isn't really hot, just normal :/
4-I check the temps with a program once in a while just to see how things are and ....well, yeah

Sullivan

That doesn't mean anything... if you don't know how to properly stress test your hardware after a overclock and monitor the temps with a temp monitor such as Core Temp, then I HIGHLY suggest you don't do anything.

Core Temp for monitoring your temps: Core Temp

Prime95 for stressing your CPU to make sure it doesn't get to hot or above the recommended TOP TEMP:
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=103

Look on intels site for the stats on your CPU and stuff.

LocutusEstBorg

Don't even think of overclocking on that 865 mobo. I doubt the settings are even present in the BIOS anyway. Your overclock WILL be unstable, resulting in silent data corruption.