• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Can't play UMD without upgrading firmware?

angelxero

I'll start off by saying I just registered 5 minutes ago and am pretty new to this stuff. I've only had a PSP for about 2 weeks; I'm cheap, and wanted one for really cheap;)

I just put in a new game (Hexyz Force, via UMD) and my PSP says I have to upgrade to Sony's firmware version 6.20 in order to play it. My current firmware is 4.01 M33-02. I have no problem playing my other UMD (FF VII: Crisis Core). I only own 2 games, so I can't really test this out. Any ideas on how I can play the game I paid for without losing M33?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I don't post in forums very often.

Deathrow

Only option I can think of is upgrading to a higher custom firmware. 4.01M33 is a bit out of the loop so to speak.
The latest M33 firmware is 5.00M33, then 5.00M33-6 (for bug fixes). This unfortunately will not resolve your UMD from playing however.
The next custom firmware is know as 5.50GEN. Then its updates are 5.50GEN-A, B/B2, D3 (final). Upgrade to 5.50GEN-A. Then 5.50GEN-B2. Then 5.50GEN-D3 (final). Their is a coder known as Hramfaxi, who has added an addition to the encryption/decryption with an update called "Prometheus." Their are quite a few versions Prometheus 1 (up to version v5) then Prometheus 2. This will change the encryption/decrpytion on-the-fly allowing your UMD to work on your PSP.

After updating to 5.50GEN-D3, run the the Prometheus 1 update or Prometheus 2 update ( I think both will work, unsure really).

Nice to know someone still buys their UMDs. Thanks for supporting developers and enjoy :)

P.s If you have questions, you can ask. I can't provide links or tuts however, their is plenty, and I MEAN PLENTY of information that teaches how to install this software. I am not responsible for your mistakes.

angelxero

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the newer versions of M33 and Prometheus, though I was hoping for something simpler. Erland's post about firmware differences had me thinking it was something I was doing wrong: "These games require the newer firmware to run. Well M33 took this requirement out so if the new game requires OFW 10 to run you can still run it on 5.00 M33-6 unless there is something that is physically in 10 that it has to have to run."
I thought this meant that with M33, being forced to upgrade wasn't as much of an issue anymore. Maybe I misinterpreted it?
Oh well. Thanks again.

january39

eXo Staff
Personally i would update to 5.50 Gen d3 and re try, some games do require higher FW's, cant be avoided. As time moves on you will find more and more titles that will require this.

angelxero

Thanks for the replies. I tried the latest M33, doesn't work for my game. I'll try the GEN-D3 next. Like I said, I'm new to PSP in general, and had no idea that firmware updates would be required to simply play the games. The last console I bought was a Game Cube (I like to wait until I can get a system for under $50), so I'm a little (understatement???) out of the loop. I miss the days when we could just put a game in and KNOW it would work, provided there was nothing wrong with it or the system.

lainlives

Thanks for the replies. I tried the latest M33, doesn't work for my game. I'll try the GEN-D3 next. Like I said, I'm new to PSP in general, and had no idea that firmware updates would be required to simply play the games. The last console I bought was a Game Cube (I like to wait until I can get a system for under $50), so I'm a little (understatement???) out of the loop. I miss the days when we could just put a game in and KNOW it would work, provided there was nothing wrong with it or the system.

But, there is something 'wrong' with your system, you are not running the officially supported firmware, if you were, your games would 'just work' like you say.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
well, not "just" work, he'd still have to update if a game required it, but yea defiantly understandable angel, did u try installing the Prometheus add-ons like DeathRow suggested?

angelxero

Sorry about the delay, slicer4ever. I haven't tried any new firmware since upgrading to the latest M33. When I did that, I lost all my saved data and now some of my other toys no longer work. I started a new game a couple of days after upgrading, and now I'm almost finished with it; I'll wait until I'm done with it before trying a new firmware, just in case it deletes my saves. I really don't want to go through that again, and I'm not so worried about it right now that I want to find a way to back up the data; it can wait.

Riorio99

You can just copy the saves from the memory stick to a PC to back them up. You can do that with everything on the stick. If the saves do get wiped, just restore them.