• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

[change?] What I hate about MFM. (go on, post your mind)

A_Nub

Developer
Another complaint thread that pertains mostly to the IRC or PSP sections.
DEAR GOD THE MADNESS!!!!!!

I said nothing about the PSP, So I haven't a clue what you are talking about there. IRC, yes, I did state. But I haven't seen anyone complain about irc before :/

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I said nothing about the PSP, So I haven't a clue what you are talking about there. IRC, yes, I did state. But I haven't seen anyone complain about irc before :/
25995868_6354fe9624.jpg

The noobs and their soooooo many unintelligent questions are rampant in other sections?

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Thanks for your post, we appreciate the feedback either way it comes in, positive or negative.

I just wanted to post my thoughts about the site's IRC channel and how I view it as a double edged sword most of the time. I like the fact that there is an outlet that a chunk of the community here uses for more rapid, candid talking points. It has a very distinct value in getting to know the people here and their opinions on matters in a very quick and easy way.

With that being said, I also feel that it can detract from the growth of new topics on the actual forum itself. People who frequent IRC may be more inclined to write whatever topic they are thinking about in there, rather than starting a new topic on the forums. At the end of the day, this forum and site is only what you make of it.

Regarding the posts about sections being stagnant or dead, I will agree with those points. When we initially setup the forum sections over a year ago, we brought what we thought would be topics and items that people would use. Having a year under our belt, we can easily remove, condense, or do some semblance of both to the sections where there is little daily activity.

As far as the elitist attitude goes, I haven't seen as much of that as of late then I did a few months ago. There comes a time when people need to grow up and start treating people as they want to be treated and get a clue. Enforcing such a thing is easier said than done, but I am all ears if anyone here has a suggestion.

Sorry for the late reply to this, I've been busy the past two months starting a new job and today was actually my first day going their full time now that I have my licenses for the industry. I read this on my way in but haven't had a chance to reply until now. I think it's important that someone on the staff responds to posts of this manner in a timely fashion.

Hellcat

Contributor
If there are sensible q's, there are a lot of ppl willingly answering them - incl. myself :)

About the IRC:
I like it to meet to ppl I like, I've been on the malloc IRC way before MfM was created, so maybe I see it from a slightly different point of view, dunno, maybe not.... ;)

Point is: yes, there are channels the one or the other doesn't like, for whatever reason.
So just stay in thoe channels you enjoy with the ppl in it yoi find cool - all problems solved, it's what I do.
99.9% of my time on IRC is a good one, it's that easy ;)

My 1 ct....

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Just to hit on the respect thing. What do you expect from a forum? Hell, what do you expect from the internet? The internet is based around the idea of not needing to respect anyone or anything. To be looking for respect is like searching the internet for a spouse.

Besides, its earned not just given as we all know. Just because a person devs something, or makes music or is a part of the staff doesnt mean they require respect, or even have earned it.

Also, as far as the elitist thing goes, its to be expected when this community started from people over at QJ. Its unavoidable the not have ranks in that way. Veterans and people more well know have the ability to be more abusive and hostile and get away with it because they have been here or even before for so long, and then when you add alot of the same type of people with that, it becomes the normal.

IN reality, MFM is becoming a smaller community. More like a community that has been around each other for years and people who have just joined, there is no middle ground because of the lack of popularity from this site. And thats because MFM offers literally nothing than another site would. Not to mention, these days - sites like MFM are a dime a dozen.

Yea it sucks to see a failing community but thats the way the shit rolls after enough time passes. Ive seen it happen a dozen times with forum-based communities.

Win

/thread

lol j/k.

even though there isn't a lot of activity here, It's a small community , one of a couple that i'm a part of that I throuroughly enjoy.

And most of us, have all known each other or known of eachother since QJ Was still in it's infancy (ARG I can't remember the original name QJ went by anymore lol)

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Honestly, have you guys seen the irc channel lately? 18 hours a day all you see is joins and parts, no conversation. Its virtually dead all the time with few and far between talking. Personally, id say 86 the #mformature channel to increase activity on the forum

Trigun

I think this further proves the whole n00b complaint.

After all these years I still don't know how to use IRC other than to download stuff off of XboxScene lol

So, I don't ever touch IRC.

Scorned

No they're not. The forum and the site as a whole are not functioning well at all. The photography section is as good as dead, the programming section is dead, the only place that sees some activity other than the "main" forum section is off topic.

Photography isn't even a section, and the last time i checked, the Creative Imagery section isn't as dead as you make it out to be (although i agree it isn't that active..).

And true about the programming.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM EST ----------

I think this further proves the whole n00b complaint.

After all these years I still don't know how to use IRC other than to download stuff off of XboxScene lol

So, I don't ever touch IRC.

You just click MFM Chat at the top.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Arent MfM and Exophase like brother and sister sites? Why not combine BOTH sites, entirely, portal and all? Isnt there two different communities at both forums and both are pretty much dying?

Trigun

Photography isn't even a section, and the last time i checked, the Creative Imagery section isn't as dead as you make it out to be (although i agree it isn't that active..).

And true about the programming.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM EST ----------

You just click MFM Chat at the top.

It was that simple.....was it ? I always assumed you guys all used IRC clients and whatnot to do that.

Oh lord :argh:

Colm

MFM is growing quiet, not much happens, I'm getting bored.
My opinion in a nutshell.

No pointing the finger here, but HEN did start to drive us down. The board was flooded by people looking for information and offering nothing in return. Naturally, we got a few new users, but after that surge, we lost a lot. The forum's centre changed and the 'community' side died. OT stagnated, the TF2 server never went public, CI and Divide By Zero failed.
Now, I hate mergers. X For eXophase wouldn't work. Similar to post-HEN MfM, you'd have a community without a background, thrown together. Frontpage, however should be merged. eXo as the news focus and MfM as an eXo subsection dealing with editorials and community events. These events would ease a transition into a merged community..
But I've very little to contribute here. I write useless posts, try to ignore trolls on IRC and admin an empty TF2 server. Sure, if I was given a chance I might try writing frontpage (see above: MfM as a more open, editorial section of exophase would give people that chance).
But tbh that's it, and unless that changes, I'm out.

btw, elitism is not a problem. This community could thrive from being a small closed community where people know each other. In fact, attempts have been made to do this back at QJ (#leak, team-duck forums etc.) and that'll probably happen here soon too.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
People like me an eldiablov have been trying their best to bring content and livelihood to the community but sometimes the feedback we get is really bad.

e.g. I've gotten the transcript of the full interview BioWare gave on Dragon Age PS3 and took more than one hour editing it and bringing it to MfM... I only got ONE reply, and it was from Abe... Everyone else just ignored it. Believe me I'm not doing it again.

Heres my only 3 complaints..

Front Page and better RSS
Downloads Section for homebrew, freeware, etc
ADVERTISE your site!

As I said, the site's dead.

and your not helping it. their is hope!

People like me an eldiablov have been trying their best to bring content and livelihood to the community but sometimes the feedback we get is really bad.

e.g. I've gotten the transcript of the full interview BioWare gave on Dragon Age PS3 and took more than one hour editing it and bringing it to MfM... I only got ONE reply, and it was from Abe... Everyone else just ignored it. Believe me I'm not doing it again.

Not everybody is a BioWare, Dragon Age, PS3 fan. you need to post different content and maybe their will be more better comments...

Adiuvo

THEYRE is not hope, when everyone here is interested in a dead topic.

Then why are you posting here? You know the staff appreciates what you did in the past but that doesn't give you the excuse to troll and make useless posts. Continue, and you're working for a thread ban.

Anyway, with the TF2 server, since the crashing on it has finally been fixed, it's probably going public soon. This is just a guess though considering Evilseph is the one that manages it.

In regards to the frontpage and editorials, like I've mentioned before, if you want something you wrote up there contact a staff member and we'll get it up there. Feel free to contact me if you want as well, and provided it's not a Saturday or Thursday I'll get it up there by the end of the day, personally.

EvilSeph

Administrator
The TF2 server's problems seemed to have been caused by hardware issues, as they seem to be fixed but since I can rarely get a game going...I have no way to test it.

We're always working on new things and reading all the feedback our community provides, but everything takes time... it may seem like we're not doing anything but I can only assure you we are.

As for lack of contributions and content: I take full responsibility for this as it appears to be a miscommunication issue on my part that has resulted in people not being interested/becoming frustrated with our system/not being noticed. To remedy this, I'll be in contact with the contributors that we're aware have shown interest shortly. If you're interested in contributing, please feel free to let us know in this topic and we'll get in contact with you ASAP too.

Please also keep in mind I haven't really had much luck lately (and I'm sure some of this - meaning bad luck - applies to the rest of the staff too); my harddrives died, followed by my PC dying so I had to get a whole new build and re-setup everything...

I was certain I responded to this thread...but apparently not. I wonder where my post went...

All in all, though, I'm just making excuses and they end here. Things will be improving moving forward.

eldiablov

Contributor
You know the staff appreciates what you did in the past but that doesn't give you the excuse to troll and make useless posts.

Now I do not support trolling in any way, shape or form. But eighty4's early contributions (his two reviews) which were good enough for the frontpage didn't even gain him contrib. If you appreciate what he did, you never really showed it.

Adiuvo

I'm not aware with that situation entirely, and I don't know if he ever put those articles up for review. If he hasn't and still wants to, he can talk to any staff member and we'll get it up there.

Like ES said, we are trying to improve things moving forward. This is just more excuses so take it as you will, but most of the staff has been hit by real life issues and bad luck. It was our fault for not communicating this to people, leading to the sense of abandonment, and for that everyone apologizes.

As for the contributors, active people are being reviewed for that status. 2 reviews isn't really a warrant for it, but if someone makes a series then it definitely is. Kind of like what you're doing Eldiablov.