• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Cleaning My Laptop's CPU Fan?

dennis96411

I've had the laptop for a year now [Satellite A505-S6033], and the fan just got stuffed up. The laptop idled at 90 degrees CELCIUS [I checked using SpeedFan], and I couldn't feel any air flow, AND, I was using a cooling pad, so obviously it was stuffed up. Should I take it apart and clean it [I don't know if this voids my warranty though]? Or just use a spray can? Although I heard using a spray can can damage the computer as it will just push the dust further in.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
A spray can will most likely push the dust in further. Since your laptop is a year old now, the warranty is most likely expired unless you got an extended warranty. Each laptop has a different way of telling if the warranty was broken but I think it'd be safe to assume that taking the machine apart will void the warranty. However 90C IDLE is unacceptable and very dangerous. I highly recommend taking it apart and cleaning the chasis fans. Hopefully that alone will fix the problem, I've had to do it a few times myself

dennis96411

LOL I kind of have no idea how to take apart my laptop, but I guess I can dig around the web.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
LOL I kind of have no idea how to take apart my laptop, but I guess I can dig around the web.

It's simple: take out the screws one by one and pry it open...well that's how it generally works. It's relatively easy to take apart a laptop, just be careful about the keyboard

Adiuvo

The fans are generally on the very exterior of a laptop and to clean them you won't have to take it apart much further than the external chassis and maybe a type of retention bracket.