• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

Completion percentage for PSN games is based on the number of trophies, not on their value

Skumblex

Hi,
I just realized that the completion percentage for PSN games that is shown on this site, does not match the one provided by PSN itself. This is because, this site calculates the percentage as 'earned trophies / total number of trophies', which does not account for the fact that different types of trophies have different values. More precisely, the distribution of points is as follows (https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/general-games-discussion/18347-trophy-points-guide.html)

Bronze - 15
Silver - 30
Gold - 90
(Platinum - 180)

which means that earning a gold trophy should boost the completion percentage thrice as much as a bronze trophy (and the platinum trophy does not count towards the 100%).
Therefore wouldn't it be better to calculate the completion percentage of PSN games as 'total number of points of all earned trophies / total number of trophy points for the game'? This way, the completion percentage on this site would match the internal one of PSN and the one used on sites like PSNProfiles.

Sachifus

I agree with you, I think it would be a better idea ! :)

Skumblex

Seems like this is also true for Xbox Live, as in this case the progress is again calculated using the number of trophies and not the gamerscore.

Maybe you could add a weight to each trophy/archievement, like trophy points for PSN, gamerscore for Xbox Live, XP for Google Play, etc. Then the completion percentage would be something like
'sum_{earned trophies} weight / sum_{all trophies} weight'?

Last edited:

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Yeah, I like this idea. I just updated the site to use points for the completion calculation on all platforms that support it.

Let me know if there are any issues - as for PSN I looked at a few profiles and the numbers are matching up now. Note that the percentages won't update until the next profile scan.

Skumblex

That was fast. 🤩
I checked my own profile and all of my games are now showing the same percentage as PSN.

Thanks a lot, awesome work!

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Based on some messages I have received some people prefer having the completion based on achievement count. Should we add a user option to change the calculation to points or achievements/trophies?

Another idea that was suggested to me is showing both completion averages at once on the page. However I'm really not sure of good way to display that. I think having two completion bars on the page would imho look kind of confusing. Unless we just showed the other count via a tooltip or something.

Any thoughts on this?

Skumblex

I think it would be a good idea to calculate and store both percentages and then give each user the option to choose his/her preferred display style. So for example, if I choose to display the percentage according to the points (in the settings of my profile), then all of the profiles I view from my account will show a completion percentage calculated using the points. If someone else chooses the other option, he/she sees the percentage that was calculated using the number of trophies; again also for each profile he/she visits. This way every player has a consistent way to compare himself to others.
I guess this should also not influence the global leaderboards, which are anyways calculated using point, aren't they? The only problem might be with internal leaderboards for individual games, as the relative positions of players on these leaderboards most likely change when changing the way of calculating the percentage. But I guess generating the per-game leaderboards depending on the preference of the user might be fine, as they are not as important as the global leaderboards.
You then just have to decide for a default option that is shown to externel visitors of the site that are not logged in.

I agree that showing both bars at once would be confusing. Maybe in addition to the user option you could switch to the 'other percentage' when hovering over the progress bar?

However, if this is too much work and most people prefer the old way of calculating the percentage anyway, I also would not complain if you just revert back to the old style.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I'm fine with adding a user option, it's not too much work and seems to be the best solution to keep everyone happy. And yeah, the option would apply site wide - so when viewing other profiles you'd see the completion calculated in your chosen display style.

I will probably have it implemented later this week. If anyone else has any thoughts on this though feel free to weigh in. I'm going to keep points as the default option I think, it makes sense since the leaderboards are also ranked by points.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Option has been added now. It might not show anything yet for the overall progress if you switch to Trophies/Achievements if your profile hasn't been scanned yet since adding the new options, that will sort itself out in the next few days.

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 12.52.12 AM.png