• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Compressing Several Folders at once

Cryox

Bro.
Okay, so I am running low on space, and I found that an easy way to free up some space was to compress all my DVD backups. Now, when I went in to do this, I realized that It would be a pain to do this, seeing as I have quite a few Rips, and I don't want them all in one archive file.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to write either a batch file or if there was a program that would allow me to compress all Folders to an individual archive so, the folder I want compressed is red.
C:\DVD Rips\12 Rounds\Video_TS\
C:\DVD Rips\Iron Man\Video_TS\
etc

If anyone knows how to do that, please let me know as it would be so much easier. I am using 7-zip and want it in 7z format if possible.

If I was not clear enough anywhere, let me know and I'll try to give more details.

ilyace

Is there a specific reason as to why you need the individual folders, or can you just convert them to .avi or something?

Cryox

Bro.
Haha, same, actually. But that was before I found the glorious quality of Matroska. That difference in size is worth it.

Matroska is the best IMO, but it isn't great for my purposes. I know all about compressing them to .mkv etc, but that isn't what I want.

All I want is to compress all the folders at the same time, simplifying the process of manually clicking "Add to Archive">"Compress"

LocutusEstBorg

Haha, same, actually. But that was before I found the glorious quality of Matroska. That difference in size is worth it.

Wha....?
AVI and Matroska are containers not codecs.... You can put compress it with any codec you want. (With some exceptions for AVI).

Bill

Wha....?
AVI and Matroska are containers not codecs.... You can put compress it with any codec you want. (With some exceptions for AVI).

I was just about to say that. Damn you!

I didn't know this till I started playing around with muxing, though.

For those that want a one container library: muxing an AVI to an MKV takes about 5 min depending on the size and your processor.

Note: I believe there are some codec formats that will not work in an AVI.