• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Computer CPU Help

BlackSheep

Lately my computer has been use 75% of the cpu while doing nothing...
This is causing me to lag bad and making my computer to sound like a big ole fan...
Please help

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Lately my computer has been use 75% of the cpu while doing nothing...
This is causing me to lag bad and making my computer to sound like a big ole fan...
Please help

Identify what process is using the CPU by checking out the process tab in task manager. If you are using Microsoft Security Essentials it is known to have periods of high CPU usage as well

MenaceInc

Staff Member
One thing I'd suggest you look out for is see if your computer is being swamped with hardware interrupts. You can see this by using Process Explorer. It's an awesome tool from Microsoft that shows how processes are laid out with parents and children processes shown in a tree view. You'll be able to tell for sure what's going on with your system with it.

keveenjones

You can uninstall unnecessary software from computer system and full scan of computer system with genuine antivirus software system. and then you can check computer. If then problem not solve then you can change virtual memory from computer.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
One thing I'd suggest you look out for is see if your computer is being swamped with hardware interrupts. You can see this by using Process Explorer. It's an awesome tool from Microsoft that shows how processes are laid out with parents and children processes shown in a tree view. You'll be able to tell for sure what's going on with your system with it.

Thanks for the program.
I've been having a similar problem, and with the help of that program I found out its my TV Tunners that are taking a fair chuck, even when nothing is being recorded or played which didn't even show in Task Manager

Thanks for this as well. My friends CPU fan is running loud and fast recently. hopefully I can found out whats eating his CPU up or maybe its the weather?

Going to check it out. thanks again.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Thanks for this as well. My friends CPU fan is running loud and fast recently. hopefully I can found out whats eating his CPU up or maybe its the weather?

Going to check it out. thanks again.

That's what mine does (Although it only did that when it THOUGHT it was overheating because it was so cold that it ended up being like OH SH-). But, that's pretty much a tell-tale sign of overheating. Unfortunately for my computer it has become the boy that cried wolf.

That's what mine does (Although it only did that when it THOUGHT it was overheating because it was so cold that it ended up being like OH SH-). But, that's pretty much a tell-tale sign of overheating. Unfortunately for my computer it has become the boy that cried wolf.

yeah I pretty much check out everything, install and replace with some good 120mm fans laying around and took care the problem some but it only rapidly spins when hes loading a map in MW2 PC.

other then that he needs to live with it until it crash and burn. lol