• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Computer keeps opping up messages that seem user generated, telling me "show me your..."

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Ok, so on my gf's computer, she just started getting all these popups that look like windows error messages. In the frame they say "read it now." and then a message will say "show me your tits" with the option yes or no. And stuff like this keeps popping up constantly, but the messages vary, and it seems to know what shes doing or saying, like when she was on the phone with me it said "get off the phone" and shit like that. Or "nice jeep". This makes me thin that it is somebody screwing with her because how would it know this about her.

So, does anybody know a program that lets you do this? Whoever it was was also able to write text in her windows, such as MS word and chrome to update her status and stuff as well...

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
i don't know any program off hand that could do this, but if someone had installed it on her computer it's possible, does she have a webcam on her computer?, i'd suggest trying to discover what program it is doing this via AV/spyware programs, or manually looking through the active programs for something that looks suspicious or just wiping the computer, i don't know if you would be able to figure out who did it, the best you could do is try to correlate netstat to an static ip address, and you might be able to figure out the internet ip that's communicating with your computer, but that's a long shot.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Ok, well I can't take a look at it right now, but I will look at it tommorrow. It's an online process, because as soon as she turned off the internetthen it stopped immediately. And whoever it is has the ability to close applications, because they closed task manager when she opened it to search for processes when I told her to.

So this is really weird. I have a feeling I might know who it is, but whatever I'd prefer to just fix the problem and worry about that later because she needs it for school. I just dont get how they could do this over the net, without physically touching the computer.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Back up and wipe, that's what I'd do.

After freaking the hell out of course.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
It sounds like she has some sort of VNC/logmein type program running on her computer, so try looking around for that, and maybe try blocking port 5900 and see if that stops anything

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
If she has Skype, then exit that, it could be a window that she left open, or sometimes you can set things like screen sharing to accept automatically, so that could be the case.
I don't know too much about Skype, but that could be a possibility.
Or just call the authorities.

Spiros

Maiki
If she has Skype, then exit that, it could be a window that she left open, or sometimes you can set things like screen sharing to accept automatically, so that could be the case.
I don't know too much about Skype, but that could be a possibility.
Or just call the authorities.
I hope your right, but from OP apperantly the dialog windows look like windows error messages, so I don't think it's skype.

I'm probably being paranoid but just to be safe, until you can look at it yourself you should tell your girlfriend to put some tape(none-clear, obviously) over the webcam, if the prompts really were related to things she was doing at the time, then I'd be more than a little nervous and at the very least put something over the webcam until I figured it out.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Alright thanks for the help guys, Hopefully I am able to take a look at this soon. It will be a major piss off if I can't figure out and have to wipe it. I really hope it dosnt come to that.

And yeah, she does have skype. But whoever was hacking was able to do stuff ON her computer, such as open up google chrome, type facebook statuses, type on skype, type in notepad and etc.

Moose

Meta Moose
Sounds like she has a RAT (Remote Administration Tool) installed, especially if the messages she is recieving reflect what she is doing (RATs allow the server to view the infected clients webcam, along with logging keyboard strokes, screen capturing, providing control of the computer, etc). I'd definitely advise that you do a wipe and reinstallation of her OS - it can be very difficult for an AV to find the client server if it's 'crypted'.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Wow, that sounds nasty.
You tried just looking through processes with the internet unplugged so whoever it is doesn't exit it?
And I would definitely open Word or Notepad and type "WHOEVER THE FUCK THIS IS, FUCK OFF, I NEED THIS COMPUTER!" :p

Moose

Meta Moose
If it's any sort of a decent RAT (not 100% it is a RAT), then it won't show in the Task Manager. =\

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
If it's any sort of a decent RAT (not 100% it is a RAT), then it won't show in the Task Manager. =\

Wow. I didn't know processes could do that :/ Pretty scary stuff.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
yeah dude this is fucked up. I'm going to wipe her computer I think for sure. What is a good antivirus that can prevent this from happening again? Because as far as I know this was installed randomly, and not by a process she enabled or installed, because I am the one that installs her stuff for her because she does'nt know how haha.

Is Kaspersky a good option? This is a pain in the ass and I would not want it to happen again.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I always just use MS Security Essentials. I don't tend to download anything iffy from sources I don't trust either.

Anyways, when you're reinstalling the OS, you should use unetbootin
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
It's what I used to install Windows 7 and Mac OS on my netbook.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Ok, thanks guys I will try that out, I will have to make a windows 7 basic bootable USB. Thanks for all the help, I'll post back here if I have any troubles

You don't have to limit yourself with Basic. Ultimate works just fine on my netbook. Just saying. :p