• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Computer Science VS. Software Engineering

Sleeet

[You may move this thread if you deem it inappropriate for this board]

What are your guys' preferences when it comes to these two similar, yet different, focuses on computers?

I'm finally headed to university this fall and I was admitted under the CS major, but now I'm wondering if it would be more appropriate for me to change it to SE.

A long time ago, I did PSP homebrew and I've programmed some Android software as well. I've also interned at a couple places doing Web-specific programming and IT work. (just to give you an idea of what I've done)

What can you guys tell me, especially those of you who have or are majoring in one of these fields?

Thanks so much for your feedback! :blushing:

Moose

Meta Moose
There are obvious advantages to each course. If you are largely or wholly interested in becoming a software engineer then I'd imagine taking the SE course would benefit you more as it will provide you with all the necessary qualifications you need in order to progress in that field. However, if you think you might want to change your career prospects (within the computer industry) from software engineering to something else then perhaps CS would be best as it will offer a broader spectrum of knowledge in relation to computers in general (I am talking from an employer's standpoint). If I were you I would contact some large organisations that are involved with computer-based solutions (specifically software engineering) and ask them what degree they prefer an individual to have. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have a preference considering the work-experience you have and possible portfolio(?).

I've not actually studied either of these courses yet, but I am off to university after this summer to study Computer Science. =)

ultimakillz

Teh Fett Mawn
i studied "computer science" at a division 2 state university here in the u.s. while it said "computer science" on paper, in actuality it was much more geared towards software engineering. i only had a few hardware and electronics courses, nearly all the rest were programming related. my suggestion is that if you are more interested in programming, study software engineering. if you want more knowledge of hardware, study computer science. rest assured you will study a bit of both regardless which direction you decide to go, but which one you would like to focus on will be the determining factor.

i wish i had been able to take more hardware courses. i sometimes feel like my knowledge of hardware is insufficient compared to others with the same degree as i have. that being said, i learned a lot of valuable things in software engineering that have really helped me develop as a programmer.

RoBz

sucker
it also majorly depends on the university, does it have a website with course descriptors on it?

angelsniper45

Major in one and minor in the other. It would probably be a lot of work but I plan on minoring in computer science, after I get my pilots license.

Davee

lolhax
Electronic and Computer Engineering ;)

RoBz is right though, lots of universities do things differently. I was contemplating doing SE/CS but after a few visits to universities, the only difference between the two is one or two papers. People here can jump between those degrees due to the similarities. Whilst going down south to Cambridge, the CS course was toooooootally different. Give the college/university a call and ask for a visit or something. ;)

Ecko

1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d
Electronic and Computer Engineering ;)
Are you actually taking courses directly related to EE and CS or is that your ultimate goal? I ask because i'm taking my general courses and I haven't decided if I should go full on EE, CS or both.

I want to be proficient in both software and hardware, but especially hardware (software is my current stronger suit simply because I spend more time with it). Anyone want to fill me in on what college/uni electronics courses are actually like?

Spiros

Maiki
I'm taking Electronics Engineering (at Dawson College in Montreal), so far it's been all hardware, the first year is spent learning logic (combinational and sequential) as well as the math and behaviour of different components (resistors, capacitors, inductors) in DC and AC circuits. It's really fun if you're interested in this sort of thing, and it's also really hands on, half of the time you're in the lab building circuits. In the next two years, we will be learning more of the software side and using microprocessors, etc.

I would really recommend EE, I love it because I am interested in being able to build my own circuits/devices as well as programming. Also, if you're from Montreal I'd really recommend Dawson, the atmosphere is really chill, and the teachers are great and accessible.

Davee

lolhax
Are you actually taking courses directly related to EE and CS or is that your ultimate goal? I ask because i'm taking my general courses and I haven't decided if I should go full on EE, CS or both.

I want to be proficient in both software and hardware, but especially hardware (software is my current stronger suit simply because I spend more time with it). Anyone want to fill me in on what college/uni electronics courses are actually like?

I don't start the course until September but I've been able to sit in a few tutorials and lectures. The course itself is Electrical and Electronic Engineering with a focus on Computer technology rather than industrial type technology. Two sides to the same coin.

Deathrow

I tried both actually.

Long story short I ended up dropping both. I realized that programming was only a small hobby of mine and I couldn't see myself constantly programming. Don't get me wrong, learning C++, Java and the intro classes were a lot of fun, but it just didn't work out for me in the end. I suggest trying to career builder to actually make your you want to be an engineer. Fair warning, you have to be 100% committed, otherwise you can expect academic probation and retaking many classes.