• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Connect S-Video out on Graphics Card to VGA in on Monitor?

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Hey,
So I have 3 screens here, a 22" Monitor, a 17" monitor and a 32" TV. I want to plug them all into my one graphics card, which has 2 DVI outputs and 1 S-Video output.
I have the 22" plugged into DVI, and currently the 32" plugged into it via a DVI to VGA adaptor and a VGA cable.
I was planning on buying this and plugging that into my 17" monitor and using an S-video cable from the graphics card, but according to my dad that will not work. So my question is what is the best way to get all 3 hooked up? The reason I wanted to use S-video on the 17" and not the 32" is because the 32" is on the other side of the room and there is already a VGA cable going around for it.
The graphics card is an ATI Radeon 4850 by the way.
Thanks,
El Xando

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I have an S-Video to VGA cable that works, however the quality is terrible.

It works using S-video out? So not VGA out into a device with an S-video connection.

Moose

Meta Moose
I have the VGA end plugged into my computer and the S-Video end plugged into the monitor/television. I didn't read your post correctly, sorry.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I have the VGA end plugged into my computer and the S-Video end plugged into the monitor/television. I didn't read your post correctly, sorry.

Yeah apparently the other way around doesn't work, I'm not 100% sure though...

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Yeah I've never seen any such solution before. Your GPu should only be limited to outputting two video signals at once anyways if I recall, you'll need to buy something like a USB VGA adapter if you wish to use a third monitor

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
it would work if you had one plugged in via DVI and the other through the S-V port but not with all 3 as far as I know.

Most Video cards come with break away cables for things like component , if it's avaiable to use why not use that

Essentially you'll need a second card to drive the third screen if you don't want it to be a clone. Your card is only configured for a maximum of two screens, the S-Video would only output a clone. Also, S-Video's quality is pretty poor, comparable to composite video connections.

Here's an article that deals with a similar issue.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I bought another graphics card :)
Got a Gainward 4850 with my 22" Monitor and 32" TV connected and an Asus 4350 with my 17" monitor connected.
It's sweeeeeeeet :D

elite

Oldie moldie
I tried S-Video to RCA lately on my 50" TV. The screen was quite acceptable.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I tried S-Video to RCA lately on my 50" TV. The screen was quite acceptable.

Really? What resolution were you using?

elite

Oldie moldie
1024 x 768 The screen was at full scale too. I have a POV 8500 GT.