• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

Control - Xbox time not tracking

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Early on all Xbox One games followed a standard format for storing the time played stat, now some developers do not include it at all and others store it in a completely different way. For the latter, I need to update the scanner to handle these games on a case by case basis.

Easiest way to check if a game supports time tracking is to check your progress in the Xbox Console Companion app. If you look under the Achievements tab for a game and there's no Time Played information then that is why we are unable to track it. From what I can see Control is one of that games that is missing this stat.

If a game DOES show the stat but it's not tracking here, then let me know, as we can probably fix that. Unfortunately doesn't seem to be the case for Control.

Last edited:

DeltaBugles

Early on all Xbox One games followed a standard format for storing the time played stat, now some developers do not include it at all and others store it in a completely different way. For the latter, I need to update the scanner to handle these games on a case by case basis.

Easiest way to check if a game supports time tracking is to check your progress in the Xbox Console Companion app. If you look under the Achievements tab for a game and there's no Time Played information then that is why we are unable to track it. From what I can see Control is one of that games that is missing this stat.

If a game DOES show the stat but it's not tracking here, then let me know, as we can probably fix that. Unfortunately doesn't seem to be the case for Control.
Good to know - thanks for the reply!

Windhauch

I have another time tracking issue, so it's hopefully okay to use this thread...

Currently I'm playing "The Elder Scrolls Online (Xbox One)" and my time tracking stats are not going beyond 63 hours of play time. According to official game stats I checked directly at Xbox One I should be at 81 hours at the moment. I thought time will update with gaining new achievements, but it doesn't. So perhaps there is a need of single recalibration... or is this a somehow difficult game where it will always be the same?

Thank you for looking into this... :)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I have another time tracking issue, so it's hopefully okay to use this thread...

Currently I'm playing "The Elder Scrolls Online (Xbox One)" and my time tracking stats are not going beyond 63 hours of play time. According to official game stats I checked directly at Xbox One I should be at 81 hours at the moment. I thought time will update with gaining new achievements, but it doesn't. So perhaps there is a need of single recalibration... or is this a somehow difficult game where it will always be the same?

Thank you for looking into this... :)

Checked your stats in the Xbox app and I noticed there are multiple playtime values for that game. There's a 'Time Played' stat that says 21 hours and the hours played says 82 hours. We were defaulting to the time played one which is why it hasn't updated, not sure why there's multiple but I'm guessing it was added later or something.

Anyway added some special handling for this game so only the hours played value is used, and the other time played stat is ignored. So should be sorted now :)

hi I Have the same problem in every game achievements are unlocking normally but my timetracking and other stats just stuck... do you have the same Issue ?

Teeps

I really should have posted on this thread. Sorry for double post (I made a new topic). I'll go delete it now.

I am having the same problem. No games are updating my play time under progress / stats, on my Xbox. Connected to Internet with open NAT, like always.

Is there a fix I need to make post update? J Teeps is Xbox gamer tag. Most recent game in question = NBA 2k20.

Thank you,

still no fix, maybe exophase would investigate this issue more from API side. I contacted support few timesand they completly dont have any fix for that, thy can't tell when they resolve this issue. I tweet regullary on xbox support about this but no answer as well.... this looks bad :(

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
still no fix, maybe exophase would investigate this issue more from API side. I contacted support few timesand they completly dont have any fix for that, thy can't tell when they resolve this issue. I tweet regullary on xbox support about this but no answer as well.... this looks bad :(

There haven't been any changes to the API that I'm aware of. I'll see if we can get in contact with someone at MS about it though. In the meantime, contacting their support channels is probably the best bet.

Tigerking3000

I will not buy a Series X and will instead upgrade my PC and only use Steam if Microsoft decides to get rid of time tracking. To me that was the advantage of playing on the Xbox. Otherwise I could just play the more popular system (PS4) or the Steam versions that track time. Microsoft needs all they can get to keep people considering how badly they did last console generation and if they decide to start taking away features then I will buy the PS5 for exclusive games and use Steam for multiplatform games that track time because let's face it, the Xbox doesn't really have exclusives. The main advantage is that it's a cheap 4K system with lots of great extra features like time tracking but if they're going to be removing features then I literally see no reason to go with them next gen at all.

Teeps

There haven't been any changes to the API that I'm aware of. I'll see if we can get in contact with someone at MS about it though. In the meantime, contacting their support channels is probably the best bet.

Thank you! I reached out on Twitter, no response yet. I'll try to contact support more as well.

I understand this isn't a 'game breaking' thing... But it really bothers me.

U2NUMB

MS has let the stat feature die.. was told that pretty much a year ago by a Xbox team member via twitter. They stopped making devs do it.. so most dont and because of that I do not see them fixing the current issue. I honestly wonder if anyone is even looking at the few stats that are used.

We can however think positive and hope that the team behind them moved onto the series X and get us a systsem level time tracking like steam.. but at this point I would bet Sony does that before MS tries again..

One of the biggest annoying things this gen. MS had a great idea with the dash stats.. and then just crapped the bed with them.