• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Cool CPU Benchmarking Tool - Pi Calculator

explosions

I'm on 5 mins with 8M digits running now. :confused:

LocutusEstBorg

If you are testing for stability, everything else is a joke next to Linpack. Linpack is a library by Intel and hence needs to be implemented by someone else in their app (OCCT, Intel Burn Test). Use OCCT since its much easier to use.

Use the "CPU: LinPack" test and choose 90% memory. Your CPU temps will be 20C higher than anything else (in the 80-90C range) unless you have a massive cooling solution (100+ CFM).

2 minutes of this will render your 3-day stable Prime 95 run unstable.

@Frozen
You're 1GHz short of a normal overclock for that CPU and chipset.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
If you are testing for stability, everything else is a joke next to Linpack. Linpack is a library by Intel and hence needs to be implemented by someone else in their app (OCCT, Intel Burn Test). Use OCCT since its much easier to use.

Use the "CPU: LinPack" test and choose 90% memory. Your CPU temps will be 20C higher than anything else (in the 80-90C range) unless you have a massive cooling solution (100+ CFM).

2 minutes of this will render your 3-day stable Prime 95 run unstable.

@Frozen
You're 1GHz short of a normal overclock for that CPU and chipset.

I tried overclocking myself but was unsuccesful at first (tried following a guide but the ones i looked at weren't all the noob-friendly for a first OC). I'm using the "dumb" overclock feature on my EVGA board which brought it up to it's current speed without me having to deal with voltages at all.

As far as this CPU "Benchmarking" tool is concerned I just thought it was a neat way to quantify how fast your CPU is in a way we can all relate to. As far as testing how stable your CPU is I was using Prime95 but guess I should be using LinPack ;)

LocutusEstBorg

Automatic settings are very dangerous. They sometimes severely overvolt the CPU and NB even at stock speed and even more when using these instant OC settings so that its assured to be stable. Every single voltage in the BIOS should be on manual. An i7 can fry with even a little extra voltage on the memory controller.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Automatic settings are very dangerous. They sometimes severely overvolt the CPU and NB even at stock speed and even more when using these instant OC settings so that its assured to be stable. Every single voltage in the BIOS should be on manual. An i7 can fry with even a little extra voltage on the memory controller.

Hence why I'm not exactly willing to go ahead and overclock it myself. I don't think the "automatic" mode changed the voltages at all. Most of the OC's I've read about are able to get to 3.3 without any voltage changes

Hellcat

Contributor
I'd run this just for looking how Pi looks at the 8th millionst decimal place.... does it print out it's calculations?

Bill

Realtime, 8M, on the 8300:

PiShot.png

57s

LocutusEstBorg

Hence why I'm not exactly willing to go ahead and overclock it myself. I don't think the "automatic" mode changed the voltages at all. Most of the OC's I've read about are able to get to 3.3 without any voltage changes

If your RAM is at 1600MHz then it already means your Base clock is overclocked quite a bit and your Uncore multiplier is also increased such that Uncore * Base = 3200MHz. This WILL need voltage increments and you don't know how much your board has overvolted by.

twelve

I'm not dead
My old work PC isn't as bad as I was expecting.

Intel Celeron 2.80GHz

2 minutes, 1 second to 8M

Ragnarok

23s for 8M on normal and high priority on a 2.2ghz P8400 core2duo

Hellcat

Contributor
Is the source available for this? Wanna try on PS3 :D :argh: :p

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM EST ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM EST ----------

Double Post: :argh:

Not too bad, my little Netbook (Intel Atom 1.6GHz) took 2min, 6secs for 8mio pies \o/

:)

And it's a "4" at place 8 million :D