• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

CPU Heatsink Question (Don't Laugh)

Spiros

Maiki
Alright so I decided to clean up my 10 year old pc because I decided I'm gonna keep it and put it downstairs where I'm gonna make a work bench. Anyway, I was trying to take the heatsink off, I put just a bit of force and it basically came right off where it looks like it had been glued to a bit of metal that then goes over the CPU (I've included a picture so maybe you can tell me if that's what actually happened). So my question is, because I don't care much about the pc I don't want to spend any money on it, can I just super glue it back on? My main concern is not of it overheating just if it the heat would make toxic fumes or something like that.

I did a bit of google searching and read that people that had done this, didn't have a problem with it, but I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys. Thanks.

If it helps, it's a 1GHz, single core CPU.

Attachments

• CPU.png
    CPU.png
    497.5 KB · Views: 64

Adiuvo

That's not super glue, it's thermal paste. Or more likely if there's no screws on it, thermal tape or thermal epoxy. You'll have to replace that otherwise the cooler won't work well at all and the PC will overheat.

Run your finger over the base of the cooler. Is it a paste like substance?

Spiros

Maiki
Hey thanks man, no it's completely dry, that's what lead me to think that square piece of metal you see isn't actually the cpu, because it didn't have any thermal paste, and though I never replaced it in the 10 years I've owned it, I'm sure there would still be some substance left (right?). Also, the green surface you see there is elevated about 2 cm off the motherboard, so I figured it was under there. Set me straight if I'm wrong, I've never installed a cpu before so I don't have much knowledge in that area.

Adiuvo

I've never really worked with a system that old but owing to the CPU pin arrow thing I'm pretty sure that's the actual processor. It could be soldered in. That was pretty common with laptops, though I'm not sure if it was ever done for desktops.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter how it was connected, but whatever paste that was on there is useless now that you've taken off the heatsink. When a heatsink is removed air bubbles form in the paste and that prevents proper heat transfer since air is such a good insulator.

Just to make sure that metal part is the actual CPU (though I doubt it wouldn't be) is there any writing on it? Normally processors have their brand and specification on there. Use a cotton ball or q-tip with rubbing alcohol on it to remove any leftover paste.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Yeah the part that is attached to the heatsink does not look to be a part of the CPU itself. The green part is indeed the CPU. I'm just not familiar with heatsinks looking like that (although I haven't dealt with one that is like that, I'll do some research)

EDIT: That might actually be the top of the CPU on the heatsink since if I recall correctly CPU's don't usually reveal that much of the green part and usually cover it up. So any writing is likely to be between the the heatsink and top of the CPU...which you can't see

Jake

I'm with everyone else, that's thermal paste. and the silver bit is part of the cpu. If you push the lever, that has the arrow pointing to it, away from the cpu it will unlock it and you will be able to lift it off easily. Underneath it will have lots of pins that go into the motherboard socket. I have just had to remove the heat sink off an older pc and it looks very similar.

Spiros

Maiki
Thanks guys.

@Adiuvo, I cleaned the cpu and heatsink off with alcohol, and there definitely is no writing on it. And I realize that yeah, it must definitely be the actual CPU.

@Frozen, I think your right, under the heatsink, that black/silver square you see seems to be a sticker stuck pretty tight, so that must be where the branding is.

@Jake, Yeah it must of been thermal paste, I've removed heatsinks before and the thermal paste was always still there so I just didn't realize that it could actually completely dry up like that.

Anyway, I got some thermal paste from a friend and was able to get it back on after I fixed the bit of plastic that held it there (I broke it when I removed the heatsink). So thanks again guys, I wouldn't of understood what I was looking at quite as easily, so I appreciate the help.