• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Cracked windows...

Slasher

Suck It
The only other way would be to mount it on a flashdrive (WinToFlash is a recommended program for doing this). Also you won't be able to upgrade from the RC build to the retail build if that is what you are looking to do (it is possible but not recommended) and even if it is you can't go from 32-bit to 64-bit windows without a fresh install. So basically: need to do a clean install, and if not with a DVD then with a flashdrive that is large enough to hold the ISO contents

EDIT: In the meantime if you put the date back several days it should not shutdown on you, not sure how long that fix will last though (did so on my laptop before March 1st so I could avoid it)

Thanks for the help

However, what exactly do you mean by the bolded part? Why can't I?

I do intend to do a full clean installation. I've backed everything up onto my external.

I'm on the RC build right now, and I hope to go to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Thanks for the help

However, what exactly do you mean by the bolded part? Why can't I?

I do intend to do a full clean installation. I've backed everything up onto my external.

I'm on the RC build right now, and I hope to go to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

You can't upgrade from the RC candidate to the retail version of windows (option is greyed out in the installation process but you can trick the installation by editing a particular file in the ISO which will then allow you to update/bypass the version check). Although since you are doing a clean install you don't have to worry about that.

Joey

I'm a little confused... I thought this 2 hour restart bullshit was supposed to start on June 1st?

I hate this. I would gladly go back to Vista, or less gladly buy a copy of Windows 7, but seeing as how I don't have a external HDD that's not ass slow, it would cost me way more money than I've got right now. So I'm basically stuck with a useless PC until I have the money.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I'm a little confused... I thought this 2 hour restart bullshit was supposed to start on June 1st?

I hate this. I would gladly go back to Vista, or less gladly buy a copy of Windows 7, but seeing as how I don't have a external HDD that's not ass slow, it would cost me way more money than I've got right now. So I'm basically stuck with a useless PC until I have the money.

User TimerNuke man. It'll delete the restart function from your installed windows copy

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I'm trying, but every link I find is dead.

**EDIT**

I've also read it wont work on 64-bit

Oh you use 64-bit version?

version 1.0.5.0 should work for you also from what I've read.. I'll look it up and post the link if I find it.

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

hey Joey, I found this app (REMOVEWAT):

I heard it totally deletes activation and keeps a genuine copy of windows 7... Not sure if it works on the RC though...

PM me if you want link :p

Hellcat

Contributor
RemoveWAT is kinda nice, but does NOT keep a "genuine" state for windows, it only removes all nags.
It also has no effect on the timebomb that makes the RC time out when it's time is just over.

Joey

Does anybody know if an "Upgrade" version of windows 7 would work? I've found an upgrade version of Windows 7 Ultimate on ebay, and I'm wondering if it's possible to do a clean install with that.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team