• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Cydia store!

B

Bizarre

Well, we all know the app store, now the Cydia store is coming. It is pretty much an app store but for jailbroken iPods/iPhones. Follows the same rule as the app store, all the good apps you must pay for, all the shit ones are free.

Bad move by Freeman.
Time for me to leave the iPod scene.

More info here:
iPodtouchfans.

Sullivan

lol, they can't get mad when theirs get cracked...

B

Bizarre

I know, I don't mean to sound like a complainer and shit, its just that apps like Winterboard etc. that are actually useful, I would gladly pay for, but now all this shit apps we are going to have to pay for.

Mister Chief

The response has been entirely negative unsurprisingly.

So are Cydia and this Cydia store going to be separate applications?

No no no no no no.

So many articles with so much wrong info.

The CydiaStore is to get people developing for jailbroken touches/phones. All the free apps that is currently in cydia will remain free, while the ones which are commercial will have a better billing system, such as realSMS etc.

A good FAQ: [FAQ] Cydia Store - iPod touch Fans forum

It will be a single app, i think its a optional upgrade to include the new billing system etc.

Sullivan

I sure hope so, but sounds like all the majorly used apps will be sold. Sucks, but heck, better then Apples apps.

B

Bizarre

This is how its going to work:
Cydia will be turned into Cydia Store, so it will be one app
Every app that is currently free will remain free.
Every app that comes out after the release has the choice of charging or not.

B

Bizarre

Lol, piracy is going to be even worse then what it is now.
So much more people are going to support it now. They never thought of this, once a paid app is released, its only going to be cracked within a day at the most.

almost all the apps that are free now will be free. cant wait to get a new polished cydia in my hands! not that i will buy anything lol.

Lol, same, it sounds great. Gonna have to play with it for a while. :w00t:

The release date should be sometime around lunch(California time) unless some last min bugs show.

PSP767

This is very dissapointing even thought i do not own my iphone anymore.. I thought the idea of cydia was to have quailty apps for free on your iphone/ipod im not saying i wouldnt pay for any apps, but they would have to be pretty special and cheeper than the same type of app from the app store.

Colm

Good news.
Why?
More quality iPhone apps that people aren't going to make for free. People won't need OSX to develop.
Secondly, it means I don't have to make an iTunes account anymore!

I'm hoping that we'll see some dual releases of Cydia\AppStore apps, where the Cydia version gets more features. For example, a Cydia version of TTR2 which supports custom songs.

This means more games from cydia.

Seriously the only thing that I've downloaded from cydia in the past couple of months have been themes. I think is will be good for the jailbreaking scene as a whole, but bad for a lot of people.

Also... there are a lot of themes out there that I would gladly pay a couple bucks for and with the incentive of making a couple bucks through making themes, I bet a bunch more will be released in the next couple of months.

But.... Developer better not cry when there apps get cracked.