• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Disable graphical boot in Fedora

mohaas05

If you hate the new graphical boot sequence in Fedora, here's a simple trick to go back to the good old text startup.

In GRUB, highlight the entry for Fedora and press 'e'

Find the line that is something along the lines of:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667smp ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet

remove 'rhgb' from that line so it looks more like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667smp ro root=LABEL=/1 quiet

Then go back and press 'b' while highlighted on that entry to boot without graphical boot.

Keep in mind this is temporary. To permanently disable graphical boot, find the same line under /etc/grub.conf and make the same changes to it.

homaki

As a side note if anybody wants to do the same in Ubuntu though it isn't as colorful as it is in Fedora (last used it FC2... lol). The location of the grub config is different, edit it with this command.

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

Find a line similar to those above and remove the text "splash"

Hardrive

Contributor
mohaas05 said:
If you hate the new graphical boot sequence in Fedora, here's a simple trick to go back to the good old text startup.

In GRUB, highlight the entry for Fedora and press 'e'

Find the line that is something along the lines of:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667smp ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet

remove 'rhgb' from that line so it looks more like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667smp ro root=LABEL=/1 quiet

Then go back and press 'b' while highlighted on that entry to boot without graphical boot.

Keep in mind this is temporary. To permanently disable graphical boot, find the same line under /etc/grub.conf and make the same changes to it.
The Fedora grub file is NOT /etc/grub.conf. It is /boot/grub/menu.lst

mohaas05

Hardrive said:
The Fedora grub file is NOT /etc/grub.conf. It is /boot/grub/menu.lst
Actually it is...and it isn't. The grub.conf is there, but it links to menu.lst.

Fortunately RHGB is being phased out in Fedora 10.

Hardrive

Contributor
mohaas05 said:
Actually it is...and it isn't. The grub.conf is there, but it links to menu.lst.
So I guess we were both right. Strange. I think it's best practice to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file, because if you switch to another distro... it might not be there.

Seth

MD Party Room
I havent toyed with fedora in quite a while but cant you

changed line in /etc/sysconfig/init from GRAPHICAL=yes to GRAPHICAL=no. It should work...

mohaas05

Vanden said:
I havent toyed with fedora in quite a while but cant you

changed line in /etc/sysconfig/init from GRAPHICAL=yes to GRAPHICAL=no. It should work...
Yes you can do it that way too. I just like the GRUB way since you can also manually enable/disable it through the boot menu if you want.