• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Does anyone else hate iTunes?

Seth

MD Party Room
Itunes is built on drag and drop,Drag a file fill of mp3 into the play list sidebar and Itunes makes a play list and import them into Itunes. Drag a song out of Itunes into your desktop it makes a mp3 copy. Drag some songs into your ipod and it import them. Take a picture online and drag it into the album art box, it auto imports them in the tags of the mp3.

Cryox

Bro.
I am fine with itunes, i just hate it when
a) The itunes store won't load, it just hangs
b) The Genius thing. Piece of garbage.
c) and that you have to use iTunes to put music on you iPod...

That is it really, i am fine with it otherwise. Just disable the memory hogging features like Genius etc.

eldiablov

Contributor
I am fine with itunes, i just hate it when
a) The itunes store won't load, it just hangs
b) The Genius thing. Piece of garbage.
c) and that you have to use iTunes to put music on you iPod...

That is it really, i am fine with it otherwise. Just disable the memory hogging features like Genius etc.

Not sure if you still do for the touch and the iphone but for the others you do.

cowsruledaworld

I fucking hate itunes as well.

When I used to use my ipod, I remember the rage I had with itunes not working. It's a piece of worthless flaming shit.

Now I don't use an ipod because they kept breaking after even less than a year of using it.

I totally concur, even on the macbooks, itunes is a piece of crusty shit, the worst part is that everything runs off of it, so I have no other choice. The latest firmware update I have to pay for?? why???

Might as well jerk off.

Cryox

Bro.
Slasher
Now I don't use an ipod because they kept breaking after even less than a year of using it.
I have had the same iPod for about 4 years now... the nano to be exact, and it hasn't broken. The only thing that has gotten worse about is the battery, but that is pretty common for electric devices.

mohaas05

I don't really see why everyone hates iTunes. People complain about it syncing and deleting their songs. TURN SYNC OFF! (christ). It's not even enabled by default.

I stay away from third party apps because they tend to fuck up my music library. iTunes is here to stay in my house.

Slasher

Suck It
I have had the same iPod for about 4 years now... the nano to be exact, and it hasn't broken. The only thing that has gotten worse about is the battery, but that is pretty common for electric devices.

I've regrettably gone through 3 of them now. Each one of them fucking up on me.

I'm done with using ipods. I would much rather stick to my phone as an mp3 player, at least it's reliable.

Cryox

Bro.
I've regrettably gone through 3 of them now. Each one of them fucking up on me.

I'm done with using ipods. I would much rather stick to my phone as an mp3 player, at least it's reliable.

And one less thing to carry.

I wonder if any other company will ever create a mp3 player that will either match or blow the iPod away in sales. In other words, something that people would buy instead of a new iPod.

Slasher

Suck It
And one less thing to carry.

I wonder if any other company will ever create a mp3 player that will either match or blow the iPod away in sales. In other words, something that people would buy instead of a new iPod.

Anything that looks appealing and can pack a lot of hype behind it could easily do it.

Zune's are apparently way better (from what I've heard anyways), but they just don't appeal to the average person as much as an ipod does. If something were to look as sleek as ipods do, then people would likely jump on it regardless of whether it's actually better or not.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I totally concur, even on the macbooks, itunes is a piece of crusty shit, the worst part is that everything runs off of it, so I have no other choice. The latest firmware update I have to pay for?? why???

Might as well jerk off.

:confused: How does jerking off solve your problems with itunes.

LocutusEstBorg

A media player that requires a friggin System Service?!? No effin thanks. WinAmp for songs. MPCHC (highly configured) for videos.

Vee

I honestly wish that a programmer in this spare time would make an iTunes alternative. Seriously. I'm sure its got some difficulties but its been done before with the old iPods. Why couldn't a similar program be made for the iPhone/iTouch/iPod Classic?

iTunes on windows = worst program ever made.

Seth

MD Party Room
I honestly wish that a programmer in this spare time would make an iTunes alternative. Seriously. I'm sure its got some difficulties but its been done before with the old iPods. Why couldn't a similar program be made for the iPhone/iTouch/iPod Classic?

iTunes on windows = worst program ever made.

They have...There are tons floola being one of the better ones.But apple keeps locking them out on each update.

Riorio99

Can't stand it as a program.
On my old PC it absorbed all my music, re-organised it into artist (it was organised by album), and on occasion slowed it down worse than Norton.
Replaced it with jetAudio and never looked back.

PsypheR

As noted in its technical specifications, the new iPod shuffle released today requires iTunes 8.1, which is yet to be released. Apple's iTunes download page also includes a note about the upcoming release on the download button itself.

115736-iTunes_enUS_Dwdl_03112009.gif

Apple's "What's New" page for iTunes highlights a few of the changes coming in the update, including speed boosts for library loading, iTunes Store browsing, and device syncing, expansion of the Genius feature to include movies and TV shows, and a change in the default audio import settings to 256-kbps AAC.

115736-itunes81_500.png

In addition to the highlighted features, Apple's "iTunes A to Z" features page suggests several additional changes, including updated Parental Controls that appear to add the ability to disable access to the entire iTunes Store while still allowing access to iTunes U content. The page also adds an entry for Autofill, which does not clearly specify what the changes are, although it appears possible that the feature implemented for the smallest-capacity iPods is being extended to all models.

Source: Mac Rumors
Download: iTunes 8.1

--

People are saying that the speed improvements are very noticeable.* I haven't used iTunes yet because I heard it ran crappy on Windows but I will have to try it out now that they've apparently fixed it (?); at least that's what I'm hearing from other Windows users.

Cheers!* :)

LocutusEstBorg

I felt the need to revive this as there is a right way and wrong way to use iTunes on Windows. iTunes is NOT a good media player. Windows' DirectShow system is far more advanced than anything a Mac will ever have and iTunes doesn't allow you to use it to it's full potential. Go read about DirectShow and how to use Media Player Classic HC and you'll understand.

iTunes however is an amazing utility for manually managing and organizing your music before transferring it to an iPod/iPhone. Under preferences make sure you've disabled automatic syncing. Disable synchronization in iTunes for music, videos, books, etc. but leave app synchronization enabled (you need to click on your device on the left and then untick the boxes in each tab). Drag your files into the iTunes library, clean up the tags (for books, videos, music) and then select all in the library and drag it into your device, then clear out the library when you're done. It's very easy to organize music into albums and mark them as gapless and stuff in iTunes before transferring.

Obviously disable their autorun bloatware and uninstall the auto updater.