• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Does anyone else hate iTunes?

twelve

I'm not dead
RoBz said:
Is Genius any good? I've never tried it.
Depends where you've got your music from. If it's from a CD or the itunes store then it works great because it recognises all the track details. If it's a random song from limewire (or similar) it tends to not know what the song is. Around 60% of my music is legit so it works very well.

RoBz

sucker
I get all mine from torrents, but they're proper CD rips all the time so I'd imagine that would be ok. No limewire crap...

Adiuvo

iTunes runs decent enough on my computer, but the start times, oh god. The only thing I really like about it is the store. Music is a bitch to label using iTunes as well. Once Amorak gets officially ported to Windows I'll be running that instead of iTunes.

twelve

I'm not dead
I really like the way you label music in iTunes.

I've tried using foobar and other programs that people say are better but I'm so used to iTunes that I don't like anything else.

Seth

MD Party Room
In not sure what points I was really trying to make only that Itunes works for me..

The zune player is a striped down WMP....I cant stand adding or lableing music on anything other than Itunes..

Adding album art,Clearing lame comments,Converting music,Fixing ID3 tags,Making Smart play list with Genius,Podcast,Even some basic video coveting can be done in Itunes..

I really love Itunes and wish it can be ported to linux....I understand that alot of people hate Itunes...But there are tons of others who love it... I bought my Ipod just for Itunes scny... Managing 11,000 songs would be a hell of a pain to do over explorer... Sure it would be nice just to drag and drop a video into my ipod but draging my video into Itunes(Witch makes a auto playlist and plug in ipod isent that hard...

Sullivan

I have to get itunes 8 soon for my new 32gb touch.

Chathurga

Vanden said:
Adding album art
IIRC Itunes doesn't actually add art, it adds a sort of reference tag that links to a picture. I don't know if it always does this, it may be just for images you let it automatically grab.

Vanden said:
Converting music
Never use Itunes to convert music. Itunes AAC encoder sucks, grab dbPoweramp or foobar and use Nero's AAC encoder.

Vanden said:
Fixing ID3 tags
Haha, whatever Itunes does "fixing" ID3 tags is not one of them. Run a song through Itunes and then use foobar to see what tags Itunes adds, it's crazy.
Itunes also messes with your tags automatically. It adds things like like play counts directly into your files, instead of using a seperate database like any sane program would do.

_Seven

Sullivan said:
I have to get itunes 8 soon for my new 32gb touch.
CUELS

iTunes is a little slow, but that's all I got. Not to mention that I'm still running 7.02 + Multi-Plugin. :[

Access_Denied

You're stating your thread title a little wrong. From the way you have it, it implies that there are actually people out there who don't hate iTunes. :rolleyes:

Yes, iTunes sucks monkey cock. Always has, always will. I switched to Winamp and never looked back.

EDIT: Not to mention that Winamp also converts to any file format you want, and auto-tags music.

ilyace

iTunes on Windows sucks, and it's not all that better on Mac. Only reason I use it is for my iPhone, and even then it's for basic stuff like managing the music and video that goes on my iPhone. For everything else, I use Foobar and VLC.

twelve

I'm not dead
Access_Denied said:
EDIT: Not to mention that Winamp also converts to any file format you want
Provided you don't want your music in mp3 it does. I hated winamp when I used it. Nothing made sense at all and the fact you had to pay/pirate to unlock full features was bullshit.

Seth

MD Party Room
Chathurga said:
IIRC Itunes doesn't actually add art, it adds a sort of reference tag that links to a picture. I don't know if it always does this, it may be just for images you let it automatically grab.
IF you manually add the album art and drag it into Itunes it embends it into the ID3 tags and let the album art become viewable on anything cellphones and other players ..
Never use Itunes to convert music. Itunes AAC encoder sucks, grab dbPoweramp or foobar and use Nero's AAC encoder.
I used it a few times... I well aware there are alturnatives that do better jobs but I almost never need to convert mp3s....THe only time I do is when I got my clip I converted some music to 96 kpbs so have on file size and Itunes did it just fine.

Haha, whatever Itunes does "fixing" ID3 tags is not one of them. Run a song through Itunes and then use foobar to see what tags Itunes adds, it's crazy.
Itunes also messes with your tags automatically. It adds things like like play counts directly into your files, instead of using a seperate database like any sane program would do

No the dam zune player fucked my my tags... I use foobar when I was on my old dell and I really dont like it... I havent seen Itunes add any tags to my songs and I made sure since I sometimes use mp3tag to edit signal tracks..

I used tons of alternatives...Me being a major linux user...WMP 10,11,12(beta on Windows 7 beta.and might I add it really nice) Amarok( Cant wait for 2.0 to come out) ,meida monkey,songbird,foobar,winamp,zune.1b1,banshee,rockbox and many more... They all run about the same for me...When I used a combo of firefox + any media player it still made my system come to a crawl...

eighty4

Itunes also messes with your tags automatically. It adds things like like play counts directly into your files, instead of using a seperate database like any sane program would do.

All of these are wrong - every single last one.

iTunes runs much better on OS X than windows, easily. Even looks better too. I find that iTunes is decent enough for managing my library of songs for my iPod.

Admittedly, though both Microsoft and Apple have 'severe problems' when making applications for opposing platform. As mentioned here, iTunes wasn't made very efficiently, Quicktime has been buugy and even opened security holes in the past for windows. Then on the opposite side, applications like Office 2008 are incredibly buggy and bloated.