• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

360 Does anyone know how to fix the Xclamp problem?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I need to finally finish to fix my 360 and there's only one step left.

The awfully designed xclamps.

These things are horrible and are the fault for my console's overheat. I've seen some tutorials but they are all badly explained or lacking sufficient info. Also I have no idea where to get the parts needed.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

K.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I've used the penny trick in the past and that seems to fix the RROD overheating issue.
All you you need is 8 copper pennies, some electrical tape and thermal paste. Then just replace the 4 mushy heatsinks with 2 pennies wrapped in tape applying a bit of paste between the chip and pennies.

Its simple and you most likely have all the materials already

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I've used the penny trick in the past and that seems to fix the RROD overheating issue.
All you you need is 8 copper pennies, some electrical tape and thermal paste. Then just replace the 4 mushy heatsinks with 2 pennies wrapped in tape applying a bit of paste between the chip and pennies.

That seems like such a dodgy way of doing things :|

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

Okay so i decided to use the penny trick plus cleaning the CPU and GPU and respective coolers and re-applying new thermal paste and it didn't work. Still getting the RROD D:

applying a bit of paste between the chip and pennies.

Thermal paste? Don't you mean the white thing that already came with the xbox?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Okay so i decided to use the penny trick plus cleaning the CPU and GPU and respective coolers and re-applying new thermal paste and it didn't work. Still getting the RROD D:

Thermal paste? Don't you mean the white thing that already came with the xbox?

I tried reviving my old Xbox and was unsuccessful a few weeks ago. Sometimes it just can't be done, it's really just luck

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I tried reviving my old Xbox and was unsuccessful a few weeks ago. Sometimes it just can't be done, it's really just luck

It's really disheartning after all the effort and care I put into it, it still didn't work

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yes that is thermal paste, sometimes by putting a new layer in it fixes it.

I've must have fixed over 10 consoles with the penny trick, and had about 2 unsuccessful ones. Sometimes it just can't be done or the penny trick isn't the right solution.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Yes that is thermal paste, sometimes by putting a new layer in it fixes it.

I've must have fixed over 10 consoles with the penny trick, and had about 2 unsuccessful ones. Sometimes it just can't be done or the penny trick isn't the right solution.

Where would I get new thermal paste like that?

Hellcat

Contributor
If you already GOT the RROD it's usually too late to try to fix up things, these "penny tricks" work for delaying/trying to prevent the RROD but rarely to fix it.

Did you try the towel-oven-reflow trick?
Common cause (caused by overheat) is the GPU or CPU or something else no longer propperly soldered to the board.
You can try to reflow the solderballs in an oven. Wrap the mainbaord into a towel put it into the oven for a while.
There's more detailed howtos for this floating the net.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
If you already GOT the RROD it's usually too late to try to fix up things, these "penny tricks" work for delaying/trying to prevent the RROD but rarely to fix it.

Did you try the towel-oven-reflow trick?
Common cause (caused by overheat) is the GPU or CPU or something else no longer propperly soldered to the board.
You can try to reflow the solderballs in an oven. Wrap the mainbaord into a towel put it into the oven for a while.
There's more detailed howtos for this floating the net.

Okay X360 is heating up, tomorrow I'll know if it worked...

Robby

Los Doyers!
You can buy thermal paste at a home improvement store. Here in the US we can go to Home Depot. It's like $5

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
i've done he towl trick before, it managed to bringa rrod console back to life, for about an hour, all most of these tricks do is delay the inevitable, you either need someone to do an proper re-flow, or send it to microsoft to get it actually fixed, either way, your ganna have problems again in the near future

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
i've done he towl trick before, it managed to bringa rrod console back to life, for about an hour, all most of these tricks do is delay the inevitable, you either need someone to do an proper re-flow, or send it to microsoft to get it actually fixed, either way, your ganna have problems again in the near future

Didn't work... I guess I'm gonna have to spend 45€ sending it to someone who can permanently fix it.

Adiuvo