• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Does Sony ban systems with CFW?

solarnoise

I've avoided modding my PS3 because I don't want to risk a PSN ban.

Yet I've been using PSN for years with my PSP which has CFW... should I be worried about that? Are the security measures just very different for the two systems?

Robby

Los Doyers!
I haven't been keeping up but last I heard was, it's detectable and they can ban you but again I haven't heard of anyone getting banned.

But I haven't been keeping up with the scene.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
Right now PSN is not useable on PS3 CFW. A few months ago (when PSN was possible) there were some emails sent out to some CFW users by Sony demanding to change their ways, or else. A few of those people got banned, but the sample was so small it was never clear if those users were abusing anything else (Call of Duty mods, ect).

I have one of my PS3s with CFW connected online but it can only download game updates. I can't sign into PSN with it(because you need the latest update), but xlink Kai will still work if you're desperate to play online.