• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Dual boot XP

is there anyway I can install XP without losing my existing windows 7?

Riorio99

Just install it on a seperate partition.
There should be guides all over the place for it.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
I don't think XP's partition manager lets you split partitions. You might need another program for that. I'm dual-booting but I previously had Ubuntu, which DOES let you partition it.

James.

User Not Found
Thanks James!

Edit: seems like my disk managment wont let me. I going to try XP and Windows 7 instead. I need to upgrade from RC anyways
Try G-Parted
It's in the guide, you have to shut down windows properly first and Defragment the drive before you use it though

James.

User Not Found
Try XP mode in windows 7.
I do it and it's not hard to do.
Windows 7 has a mode called XP mode, which is just a virtual PC, but it's still fast as a normal install, IMO.
[HIGHLIGHT]Idk what computer you have, but it should run fine.[/HIGHLIGHT]
[qimg]http://forums.mformature.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=292&stc=1&d=1257368831[/qimg]
That's my computer, and the download link is:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Not true. I have an early "Vista Capable" pc that cannot run xp mode.

To test if your processor is compatible use:
GRC
You want it to say "Yes" under "Hardware Virtualization"
EDIT: You might have to poke around your bios, afaik most oem's disable it so you'll have to enable it

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
Not true. I have an early "Vista Capable" pc that cannot run xp mode.

To test if your processor is compatible use:
GRC
You want it to say "Yes" under "Hardware Virtualization"
EDIT: You might have to poke around your bios, afaik most oem's disable it so you'll have to enable it

Or, you can find the processor model, google the specs, and look for "Intel VT-x" or "AMD-V" for Intel or AMD, respectively. It'll usually say yes or no.

Yeah mine works for virtual pc but its not the same

I need my hardware to work and not virtual it. like flashing xbox's for my friends etc.

Apparently windows 7 64-bit doesn't want to flash my drive but I know for sure xp can.