• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

DVD Multi Writer

Sullivan

After ordering my dvd multiwriter for my first build, I didn't notice it, but it was a IDE drive, and I had thought originally that it was SATA. I had major issues with it to work from the start, its a horrible drive. I had some issues with newegg, but ended up getting my way, ask me how to make them pay for shipping, and give you a full refund. Neat little tricks.

Is running a DVD writer on SATA a ton better then having it connected via IDE?

The two sata drives that I am looking at are here:

Newegg.com - LG Black 22X R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVDR DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

Both which fit my price which is 27.99 + Free Shipping (exact), and are NewEggs top selling and rated drives.

Which should I get, and if you can find a better MULTIWRITER with SATA, Free Shipping, and 27.99 or under, please link me.

Thanks.

Hardrive

Contributor
My Samsung drive died on me. I bought two Sony drives to replace that one, and they're running smoothly.

So I'd go with either an LG or Sony.

I don't know if SATA drives are necessarily better, but they do let you abandon those fat IDE cables, improving airflow in your case.

Seth

MD Party Room
There are no real advantage to have sata dvd drive over than a IDE drive other than the convene of sata(have a ton more ports on your motherboard) and better airflow in the case.They still both read and write at the same speed, I more of a sony guys as well but lg makes some good ones at well..

Sullivan

I had a sony on my past system, it worked quite well.

What models of Sony drives are you using?

Sullivan

Which model french?

Light scribe seems like a nice feature, doubt I will really use it though. And there more tempting for me to purchase.

twelve

I'm not dead
I can't remember when I built my first PC but that had an LG IDE drive in it and that drive is still working fine in my parents PC. I've always had LG drives and they've never had any issues.

LocutusEstBorg

Pioneer (Also rebadged as ASUS for many models) have widest compatibility with all kinds of recordable discs, cheapo and expensive.

Sullivan

Ya I ended up getting a SAMSUNG Sata 22x DVD multi writer, but I am un happy with it sometimes as it makes a high pitch sound when reading some cd's.