• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Multi E3 Discussion

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Still mini-games won't sell a system (I think?). Nintendo is taking a big risk to lose all it's "hardcore" fanbase with another home console gimmick.

What demographic do "hardcore" fans fall into for the Nintendo home console market? Eight year olds? Soccer moms? Drunk people pre-gaming before they go out?

How could a clear improvement over the Wii upset anyone besides parents who have to shell out money for another console their kids will be asking for?

I guess I just don't see your point Kezra. You keep saying how risky this move is and I just don't see it. I hated the Wii, but the Wii U interests me.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
What demographic do "hardcore" fans fall into for the Nintendo home console market? Eight year olds? Soccer moms? Drunk people pre-gaming before they go out?

How could a clear improvement over the Wii upset anyone besides parents who have to shell out money for another console their kids will be asking for?

I guess I just don't see your point Kezra. You keep saying how risky this move is and I just don't see it. I hated the Wii, but the Wii U interests me.

Well that's because most "hardcore" left the Wii for the PS360 when the time came because as you said, the Wii was just pointed at soccer moms and eight-year olds. I know a few, and around the internet I know there are a lot because they're mostly guys who all owned GameCubes (which was pretty awesome software-wise, even if a bit thin).
Those are the same people who hated the Wii and while some got it for Zeldas and Metroids, most jumped ship because when games like "Imagine Party Babyz" come out, you know you're in the wrong console.
They are also the guys who have been DYING to know what "Cafe" was and with the promises of HD gaming and "getting back the hardcore" (this has been openly said by Ninty, I dunno if it was Iwata or Miyamoto though xD) and with the admittance the Wii scared that same fanbase (which is the only reason the GameCube has the success it had) they all were eager to comeback. (I am one of those, always been a Ninty fan but never found the appeal of the Wii so I went for a PS3). So I can say (that at least for me) the Wii U is pretty underwhelming at this point. While third-parties vowed to come back now (which is a good thing) the games demo'd seem like more Wii-style games.
Also I'm saying it's a risk because the Wii was priced cheaply which made it the perfect target for the casuals you mentioned above, but with the better hardware and the shiny new controller, I don't think the Wii U will be priced below $300/300€ which is also a turn off for the "casuals".

TL;DR -> Ninty hasn't shown anything to get back the "hardcore" fans that owned pretty much everything up 'till the GameCube, but they are making a more expensive console that will also turn off casuals. It's a risk, but it could pay off depending on pricing and software because the Wii U has to potential to pander to both markets successfully. I just don't think Nintendo still has it in them.

However I will pretty happily admit I am wrong if the Wii U is successful, and I will get one (trading off my PS3) if I see a software line-up that call out to me. Speaking of GameCube, I'm off to play some Zelda! xD

P.S. I would guess that most "hardcore" Ninty fans are on the 21-26 year-old range but at this point either own a PS360 or have their Wii's gathering dust.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Still early in the system's development so I wouldn't have expected to see "hardcore" titles so early. They've just been showing off proof-of-concepts / prototypes to give you a feel for how the system can be played. As a "hardcore" gamer I found the Chase Mii game extremely invigorating. The potential is there for hardcore games and the companies that have already "signed up" for the system are some "hardcore" studios.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Still early in the system's development so I wouldn't have expected to see "hardcore" titles so early. They've just been showing off proof-of-concepts / prototypes to give you a feel for how the system can be played. As a "hardcore" gamer I found the Chase Mii game extremely invigorating. The potential is there for hardcore games and the companies that have already "signed up" for the system are some "hardcore" studios.

So many "..." xD

Then hopefully this will be an inverted 3DS case. In which lots of things were announced with e console but most on them (MGS3D, Zelda, SMB, RE, DoA) will only come out for it 6 months to 1 year after you got it, and the best thing in the meantime are games like that Resort game that they demo everywhere (I like the 3D though, in a way).

Unfortunately although it looked fine, that Mii Battle thing just doesn't appeal to me. I guess I can be too much of an elitist sometimes =\

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
No offense, you are saying "hardcore," but all I'm reading is "butthurt fanboy." I'll never understand the level of allegiance and disappointment that you express towards companies in the gaming industry. You seem to live in the past and shun anything new that doesn't give you a nostalgic feeling.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
No offense, you are saying "hardcore," but all I'm reading is "butthurt fanboy." I'll never understand the level of allegiance and disappointment that you express towards companies in the gaming industry. You seem to live in the past and shun anything new that doesn't give you a nostalgic feeling.

Although I understand what you're saying, I don't really live in the past and I do enjoy new experience when they are well created. Games like No More Heroes, MadWorld and DeadSpace Extraction used the Motion gimmick very well (I'm mentioning Wii titles only in this specific case), and I really love the way games like Patapon, World of Goo, Amnesia, Heavy Rain (among others) have completely new and original designs that are challenging and interesting at the same time.

You just can't make me buy third-party shovelware games only made to capitalize on the gimmick of a system with limited appeal (see more then 50% of the Wiis library).

I know I'm coming off as an elistist and a butt-hurtfanboy but maybe that's really how jaded I have become to stuff that seems to me, is utterly pointless. To justify the love for some gaming companies I seem to have and stuff (at least in my case) growing up in the middle of the dead-end of nowhere with no friends whatsoever (except when I was in school, which was 12-20km away) I do have fond memories of some of the great games I played as a kid.

El Diablo

Personally I'm not expecting this to be any more successful than the wii (and I know you will say the wii sold tons of consoles but lets be honest here, where are they? I've seen a total of 2 in my lifetime so they're either in peoples closets/trash or with little kids). I know it's still PoC stuff but if you want to get peoples hopes and expectations and hype up for it then they should be showing real games. Hide and seek is nice and all but when I have the option of buying a 360 or ps3 with real games, or a new wii u with childish wii sports games and hide and seek type stuff on it, which would I go for?

I really think if Nintendo wants to get back into the mainstream "hardcore" gamers, they better step it up in the next year and show off some good stuff for it, and have some real games coming out for it when it releases otherwise it will just be a wii 2.

And you're right there is a market for it, unfortunately though that market is for little kids and soccer moms as said before unless they really do something different than they did with the wii.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean there isn't a market for it.

Did I say that? If that's the way it came out then I'm truly sorry D: What I meant to say was that even though I don't like it, and many like me do not, I've seen many people who do and have fun with them and as long as they have fun, I guess that's what really counts in the end.

Also, an addendum to my last post: I know I may be arrogant, stupid and borderline idiotic at times when it comes to discussing videogames, but at least (and thanks to those same videogames) I didn't end up a drunkard, a 18-year old parent, a junkie or a no-life like most people from my area did. This in NO way justifies my attitude (which I everyday try to make up for), but I guess that's just the way I am.

El Diablo

I just wish they would try to be more "mainstream". If I could buy a ps3 or xbox 360 equivalent game console made by Nintendo that wasn't a gimmick, I would in an instant as I would much rather support them. Sadly though it seems like they are happy doing their own thing, and in turn I won't purchase a console for mini games when there's 2 superior consoles and PCs for "real games".

Robby

Los Doyers!

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
does the vita have tactile (or haptic i forgot which one) feedback

You mean as far as the touchscreen goes if it responds to your touch via a vibration or something? The answer is no, I didn't notice any haptic feedback and frankly I think it's unecessary

Robby

Los Doyers!
Yeah, it vibrating everytime I touch it would get annoying. That feature is just useful in phones mainly with text input.