• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

EA games are coming back to Steam

antock

I liked Origin so I find this sad...

EA games on Steam will need Origin, like Uplay for Ubisoft games on Steam and Origin.

A_M_R_Egypt

Origin will stay, and they add more games with Origin achievements every month
For example: Just one week ago 4 games added with Origin achievements:
Nex Machina
Dead Cells
THE SURGE 2
FOR THE KING

Honestly I think this is better, going to Steam will help increase the number of players interested in Origin achievements
Many boycotted EA when they left Steam about 8 years ago.

NoahG59

Origin will NOT be removed or affected (except with more cross-play). You will NOT need have to have Origin to launch the games. This won’t be like Uplay. They are also not planning (as far as I can tell) to give already owned Origin games for steam for free currently, so you will have to rebuy them.

I don’t really like EA much, but I’ll be willing to play their games if I ever get them for cheap now that they’re on Steam.

A_M_R_Egypt

Some say that Apex Legends on Steam won't need Origin not sure where they got that, but Steam store page for STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order clearly states that you will need Origin running to play it (just like Uplay)
"Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: EA on-line activation and Origin client software installation and background use required."

NoahG59

Some say that Apex Legends on Steam won't need Origin not sure where they got that, but Steam store page for STAR WARS Jedi: Fallen Order clearly states that you will need Origin running to play it (just like Uplay)
"Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: EA on-line activation and Origin client software installation and background use required."

They got that from the lead developer of Apex saying that games won’t need Origin to run on Steam. EA made them edit the statement to say Apex now instead of “Your games” so maybe only certain games will need Origin after all. He is also the lead dev for Titanfall 2 and another mystery game so we can hope those won’t use Origin.

A_M_R_Egypt

I hope at least EA would improve Origin, that client is a nightmare I don't know why but it is too slow when you click on any thing, takes too long to load the installed games when you launch it ...etc
and honestly that very slow performance of Origin not just in the client it is also very slow from a web browser (Origin.com)

Neither Steam, Uplay nor the new Rockstar launcher is that slow for me ..those 3 run really smooth.

aTODKlIJtayj4PnIVOkXbCq3giekLvoHrLRD97YHW_0.png

Interesting, either the Steam Store Page for Fallen Order has misinformation or that dev didn't get the memo ... is he part of Fallen Order team ?
Battlefield V will come to Steam next year too according to EA and I've herd that you login to origin within the game.
I see Steam has this EA DRM message the other days as well when I brought Mirror's Edge. But I still launched it without Origin.

Last edited:

A_M_R_Egypt

Battlefield V will come to Steam next year too according to EA and I've herd that you login to origin within the game.
I see Steam has this EA DRM message the other days as well when I brought Mirror's Edge. But I still launched it without Origin.
Are you sure cause on Mirror Edge Steam store page there is no Origin requirement message, only "Requires agreement to a 3rd-party EULA Mirror's Edge EULA 1"
EA Steam.png

I just remembered: EA games on Steam (the over 8 years old ones) has no Origin cause Origin didn't exist back then.
When Origin launched (2011) it had BF3 and Fifa12

In any way we will know for sure in 5 days.

Last edited: