• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Enable Tethering and MMS

eighty4

It's pretty easy to get tethering on your iPhone, any gen, and MMS enabled. Tethering allows you to use your iPhone's 3G data on your laptop or desktop as a wired or wireless modem. MMS however does not work as of yet, it does however, give you the option in Camera Roll and the Messages app. Close iTunes if it is open, first.

Let's start.

Mac OS X:
  1. Start Terminal (Applications > Utilities)
  2. Run the following command: defaults write com.apple.iTunes carrier-testing -bool TRUE
Windows 2000/XP/Vista (32-bit):
  1. Go to Start -> Run
  2. Type in "command" and hit enter
  3. Type/copy+paste this into the command console that comes up: "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
  4. Hit enter
Windows XP/Vista (64-bit):
  1. Go to Start -> Run
  2. Type in "command" and hit enter
  3. Type/copy+paste this into the command console that comes up: "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe" /setPrefInt carrier-testing 1
  4. Hit enter

Doing the above allows you to update .ipcc carrier files. These are files that hold carrier data, which unlocks certain features on iPhones.

Now to actually enable tethering!

1) Download this file here.
2) Open up iTunes
3) Go to the iPhone tab within iTunes
4) Alt or Shift Click on "Check for Update"
5) Find where the .ipcc what extracted hit Ok.
6) Wait for it to finish, and be merry!

Now you have tethering enabled, and MMS options available. Again, MMS will not work until AT&T decided to activate it.

Only Tethering:

Alternatively, if you want to only get tethering you can go here, on MobileSafari.

1) Hit "Mobileconfigs"
2) Click your country
3) Click your carrier
4) Install the package
5) Go to Settings > General > Network > Internet Tethering

There you can read the instructions and turn on tethering - finally.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
Awesome guide :D :D :D :D

Do AT&T penalize you for doing this ?

Now I just need an iphone.......

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
I do not know if it has been fixed yet, but people with hackivated phones (if you did not upgrade with itunes) may lose their visual voicemail doing this. I upgraded using redsn0w than updated my carrier settings and my visual voice seems to be working fine so it may not affect everyone.

I'm with Rogers with only a 500mb data plan, so I had to do this. Now I don't need to install PDaNet on everyones computer