• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.
  • If your profile is showing up as Not Ranked, please review our rules page and follow the appeal process detailed there.

EXP system

BatuDeAngelis

I'm asking to fully understand the exp system. My exp was 124,649 a few days ago, now I see it is 118,755 when I look at it. And in the process, I gained many achievements. How exactly is it calculated and why is my score decreasing? It would be great if someone could explain :)

Retodon8

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The total EXP is calculated from the most rare achievement in a game and the points are distributed accordingly after. So the value is dynamic and constantly changing since the rarity values also change.

It'll go down if the rarest achievement is earned by more players since the rarity drops which brings down the total EXP for that game. Conversely, if more players earn other achievements in the game but not the rarest one this will bring up your EXP.

BatuDeAngelis

The total EXP is calculated from the most rare achievement in a game and the points are distributed accordingly after. So the value is dynamic and constantly changing since the rarity values also change.

It'll go down if the rarest achievement is earned by more players since the rarity drops which brings down the total EXP for that game. Conversely, if more players earn other achievements in the game but not the rarest one this will bring up your EXP.
Ok, now I understand clearly, thank you very much! :)

YouGotHitByGunner

Enforcer
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Yup, so if you're playing a game that has been released recently, and for example, there are 1000 people who've made some progress and only one person who has completed it yet, it will have a high amount of EXP. But as more people end up completing it, the less EXP it will be worth. New DLCs/updates usually inflate the numbers as well, until players return to finish the new content.

I see you've played Human: Fall Flat recently, which received several achievement updates in the past couple of months, so the EXP will fluctuate a lot on it for a while.

BatuDeAngelis

Yup, so if you're playing a game that has been released recently, and for example, there are 1000 people who've made some progress and only one person who has completed it yet, it will have a high amount of EXP. But as more people end up completing it, the less EXP it will be worth. New DLCs/updates usually inflate the numbers as well, until players return to finish the new content.

I see you've played Human: Fall Flat recently, which received several achievement updates in the past couple of months, so the EXP will fluctuate a lot on it for a while.
I got it ! Thank you very much :)