• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

External Hard Drives - The Best Ones?

Vee

Hi guys. I'm planning to get an External Hard Drive for backing up all my data and stuff. Now, i've been looking around a bit and i'm yet to find one that seems to be good on all fronts. I thought Western Digital were the best, but i saw their Amazon review's and figured they must have really bad build quality/reliability.

Does anyone here own an external hard drive? If so, what make? How has it treated you?

Also, can anyone help me find a decent external hard drive (250-500gb) for under

Bossmanuk

Contributor
I have a Seagate Freeagent for almost a year now and it's been great Its pretty quiet, the software that comes with it isn't intrusive, plus it comes with a 5 year guarantee.

Chathurga

Yeah I have the same, 750gb Seagate and it's perfect. Good read/write and quiet, couldn't ask for more.

Seth

MD Party Room
I dont like the new Western Digital drives but I do have a old one and it really good....

I like buying a External Enclosures and putting a plan old sata drive in there... That way if I ever wanna swap HDD or have several old HDD I can still use them...

Does your computer have firewire or esata?

I whould help you find a good drive but I have no idea about prices on your side...

Newegg.com - Western Digital WDE1U6400N 640GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - External Hard Drives

That kinda nice...

Vee

Yeah, Seagate was one of the ones that interested me. How can i find out if my computer is eSata compatible?

As for the enclosure thing, i'd rather get it with a well known brand. That way if it craps out, i can get it replaced. I'd hate it if it died and i lost all my stuff.

ilyace

Yeah, Seagate was one of the ones that interested me. How can i find out if my computer is eSata compatible?

As for the enclosure thing, i'd rather get it with a well known brand. That way if it craps out, i can get it replaced. I'd hate it if it died and i lost all my stuff.

If your pc has eSata, there is most likely a port on the front panel or maybe in the i/o on the back of your pc.

Seth

MD Party Room

Umm bro....

First off any HDD will die on you...

Second no company will recover your data...If you HDD dies you out of luck,no warranty is going to cover data loss..

Third any HDD you buy will come with a warranty and they will be replaced...

Forth how the hell is Seagate or Western Digital brand internal HDD any different that pre made from the same company..

But if you feel safer with a well known brand then by all means get it..

Adiuvo

I have two Western Digital hardrives hooked up right now and they've been going good for about a year. My brother dropped one at it still worked, no data loss either.

You can usually find the 500 gig ones for about $75-$90.

Sullivan

My dad was able to get a 1TB for 130$ on sale, its a Western Digital.

mohaas05

I have a Seagate 320GB on my office computer. It works fine but sometimes it dissapears from explorer and I have to unplug and replug the cable.

Noriyuke

I miss mt Western Digital 500GB WorldBook, my psychotic cousins smashed it after using at one huge thumb drive for the 360, that thing had so much in it....