• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Failed HDD Data recovery?

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
hey guys, my recently purchased ssd failed on me today, my laptop complained that their was no hdd available, after taking it out, i put it in my external usb hdd encloser i have, and the computer complained about read/write issues to the hdd, so i couldn't access it, to confirm it was the drive, i re-installed my old hdd into the laptop, and the laptop loaded up without a problem.

now then, in the last couple of month's, i've written alot of code i'd like not to lose(specifically my genesis compo entry), however programs like recuva can't seem to be able to scan the hdd for files.

i'd appreciate any help on the subject.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
You have no chance of recovering anything from an SSD right now, even with professional services.
fuck, i did not want to hear that=-(....FUCK!
god damit, fucking, ssd, fuck you!!@!L!edjiwpadkp'awdjocjnaicnkaejdwaw!@!W2d2!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111oneoneone!

MenaceInc

Staff Member
If you got an SSD of the EXACT same model, you could try transplanting the NAND chips from the dead one onto the new one but that would be extremely costly and would require super awesome solder skills.

Adiuvo

What brand was it, if you don't mind me asking?

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
What brand was it, if you don't mind me asking?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227543
OCZ Agility 2, 120GB ssd
it had mostly favorable reviews on newegg when i purchased it, however, now it seems to be a similar issue as everyone else on their(died after 2 months of use)

either way i plan to see if i can get this one replaced. going back to this older hdd reminds me of how much i loved that thing(could do a cold boot, to fully loaded in ~30 seconds on the ssd, now it takes me ~5 minutes to be fully booted on this current hdd)

i wouldn't mind as much if i could somehow pull the data out, but i don't think i can do what menace suggested, my skills in soldering are defiantly not that good.

Hellcat

Contributor
I feel with you.
Even though I never happened to have a SSD yet (*sniff*) classic HDDs tought me the hard way to always have recent backups of everything valuable....
Since then I have like 10 copies of everything, spread over everything I have XD
For code, after every "make" that resulted in the change I wanted to see, I commit it to the SVN on my server -> nice way to backup code IMO.