• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Faster Speed With New Router? o_O

dennis96411

I just bought a refurbished WRT160N off of Amazon for 30 bucks, and am very happy with it. I did a speed test with it, and it reached as high as 25Mbps! I never got that high on my old router! Also I flashed DD-WRT on it :O

As you know, my speed was 15Mbps max, but now... Wow...
1302261686.png

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Lucky you. I live about 2 mile from the nearest phone exchange as the crow flies and there's no cable/fiber available in the area....

I don't think a new modem is going to make this better.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
a local router generally shouldn't give such vast improvements, so your older router had to be pretty horrible to be hindering your speeds that much(also, did u do a recent speedtest with your old router before switching to the new one?)

dennis96411

a local router generally shouldn't give such vast improvements, so your older router had to be pretty horrible to be hindering your speeds that much(also, did u do a recent speedtest with your old router before switching to the new one?)

1297587642.png

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
It's most likely because your old router didn't have a Gigabit ethernet port (and now your new one does). That's what I noticed when I upgraded my Asus WL-520g to a RT-N16.

Also you may be getting 'faster than what you're paying for' speeds because of speed boost provided by your ISP. Speed tests show I get around 50mbps, but after a few seconds it's actually 15mbps.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
It's most likely because your old router didn't have a Gigabit ethernet port (and now your new one does). That's what I noticed when I upgraded my Asus WL-520g to a RT-N16.

a gigabit port wouldn't matter unless his isp could provide him with speeds higher than 100mb port's, which isn't the case here. it might be what you said about a temporary speed boost, however, if you experienced a similar increase in speed, i'm at a lost of understanding.

@dennis, have you tried downloading something continuously for several minutes to see if the average download speed matchs what you posted on your speedtest?

Deathrow

88% of the people in the US? Do you just pull numbers out of your ass or what?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
88% of the people in the US? Do you just pull numbers out of your ass or what?

That's according to the image he posted, anyway. Probably close to accurate, considering he has Verizon Fios. I wish it was available in my area :(