• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Favorite heroines, female presences in Video Games

Survival Horror

Yes, no matter what many people say that "I'm better off controlling a man", there exist women presences in games we’ve played that have come up with more manliness than many, smarter or with her own character and acting, have won over even the most skeptical. Or, at least, in many games because they really are weakest, because the game must be like this they make you see through their own perspective and bond with her trying to help her. Of course some are impressive on their own and catch your interest.
Here I’ll present my 10 favorite up until today.Ι am waiting for your choices :)

1)Εllie(Τhe Last Of Us,2013)
ellie11111.jpeg

Before the game came out, I’d ordered the Joel Special Edition, thinking that little brat will only be there to be saved in various parts of the story…As it turns out I couldn’t be more wrong! Ellie, trained by the Fireflies, not only helps in many parts but also manages to win you over with her rebellious personality, some times more girly, others pretty smart, but down the road she comes to a point of having to take matters into her own hands, having to find medicine for Joel. In that part she truly acts more manly than many others who would cower and that is the reason she has won, along with Jill, the most respect for women characters in video games.

2)Jill Valentine(Resident Evil,1996)
jill22.jpeg

Yes, she is my most favorite heroine and the first I admired in video games this much. Not only in the Resident Evil 5 and Revelation games but in the first one with the beret (the normal Jill) and in Resident Evil 3 (not only her appearance there, but for the great game in combination with Nemesis). Elements which are amazing on Jill are that she didn’t show her breasts or other body parts (My name is Lara Croft) and she won you over with her feeling of justice, her strength and eagerness to serve S.T.A.R.S..It’s not a coincidence that her nickname is “The Master of Unlocking”, looking at how easily she could get locked doors open.

3)Aya Brea(Parasite Eve,1998)
ayaaa1.jpeg

The gorgeous female cop which any man can’t miss. But it’s not just that. Ava possesses courage, determination and many extra abilities like Full Energy, Liberation etc which make her a force to be reckoned with. Her tragic story about her sister, the mitochondria which differ in relation to the most people around her and the creepy Christmas atmosphere make you bond with her ‘till the end. A real heroine, saves and protects millions of people in the end.

4)Chun Li(Street Fighter)
chunli22.jpeg

Chun Li is timeless, that’s why there’s no specific year. We met her in Street Fighter II in 1991 and it was bound to stay forever in the hearts of many. In my first look at her I was stunned at how much her legs seemed as worked out as those of a footballer hehe, but she was very likeable and dynamic. Also, the first woman in a beat ‘em up game, and the best until today. Many came and went, Cammy, Makoto, Karen, etc but none liker her. It wasn’t a coincidence that her winning message was “I am the strongest woman in the world”. She wins you over with her abilities, in combination with her appearance.

5)Emily(Deadly Premonition:The Director's Cut,2013)
emilyy.jpeg

The Sheriff’s helper and the newest citizen in town. Emlity is this relatively innocent person in contrast to what’s going on around her and this is seen in her face. Of course she’s not one to cook, but she’s very important in supporting you in everything you’re doing and you know she’ll give your soul for the company’s success. She wins you over with her appearance, but because she doesn’t come out as an “I’m beautiful”. She has eyes showing a very kind soul and that is her biggest plus. One of the most beautiful and humble presences in video games.

6)Mai Shiranui(Fatal Fury,1993,KOF)
Mai Shiranui.jpeg

Yes, she is one of the women that caught my eye because of her looks. I really like Mai’s appearance, beautiful and daring with her fans and scantily-clad. I was never a King of Fighters fan etc. but every time I see her, I find myself spending a lot of time gazing at her and so until today she remains a special character..

7)Clementine(The Walking Dead,2010)
clementine11.jpeg

We met Clementine from the first The Walking Dead game when the main character Lee found her locked inside her house while waiting for her parents. A scared and gutless little girl, until Lee helped her to survive on her own. He taught her how to walk among zombies, how to be fair and how to use a gun. And like that Clementine became one of my favourite heroines in videogames. A character striving for justice, sometimes she has the flaw not to openly take sides, but especially loveable that makes you happy to protect her and check at any given time if she’s ok.

8)Morrigan(Dragon Age: Origins,2009)
morrigan2-2.jpg

Or else the witch’s daughter, we met her on Dragon Age: Origins and she had an especially mysterious character. From the beginning she motivates you to know her better. A personality with a very well hidden femininity, which, once discovered, excites you .She has a lot of qualities that every type of man would want in a woman. If she listened to a type of music that would have to be heavy metal or rock. In the game she intensely shows her fondness and dislike for other people, her jealousy and of course she has magical powers that prove to be very helpful.

9)Mio-Mayu Amakura(Project Zero II:Crimson Butterfly,2003)
miku111.jpeg

The twin sisters of the best game of the series that offers top-class Japanese horror. From the beginning of the game their bond, like all twins have, is so special that makes you feel like you are one of them in a way. One of them cares for the other and can’t go on without her. It’s the true love that these sisters share that can lead them even to death together or to the tough decision that one of them must take for the other. They are not that dynamic as characters but they are eager to learn the truth. Naturally they get scared of the various ghosts they come across with and they try to survive using their camera. This horror they experience truly makes you grow close to them.

10)Fiona Belli(Haunting Ground,2005)

fiona111.jpeg

After her family’s traffic accident (the premeditated one) Fiona finds herself in a medieval castle trapped in a cage almost fully-naked with a mysterious man next to her chopping meat. What could be more horrifying witnessing that through her eyes and start her adventure? This way you immediately grow fond of her and try to help a scared and hopeless girl trying to survive. She has no weapons, she’s not a wannabe model, she’s just a simple, beautiful woman trying to hide in order to survive from her pursuers. Her love for animals, like Hewie, her little dog whom she frees, makes her even more likeable. She is scared as a character, but her need for self-preservation is transferred to you and you feel the need to keep her safe from every danger. She’s also very sweet, but unfortunately the circumstances do not allow her to show this attribute very often.

SihayatheFremen

Why is it that in almost every single one of these you mention their appearance?
One is gorgeous, feminine, her legs, being scantily clad, etc.
I really also enjoy how you point out that one of them isn't "one to cook"

Here's a female character for ya. Shepard. Fully armoured, disciplined, trained, a natural leader. She's strong and capable as a person, not as a woman. That she's a woman is incidental. THAT is what being a good character is. She's a presence and a leader who happens to be a woman. Not DESPITE being a woman.

Last edited:

chunji

Claire Redfield & Sherry Birkin (RE), Lara Croft (Tomb Raider), Ellie (Last of Us), Ashe & Fran (FFXII), Tifa (FFVII), Miku (Fatal Frame), Female main character/Minako (Persona 3 Portable), Mitsuru Kirijo (Persona 3)... I have way more but those are the top 10 I can think of for right now.

Survival Horror

Why is it that in almost every single one of these you mention their appearance?
One is gorgeous, feminine, her legs, being scantily clad, etc.
I really also enjoy how you point out that one of them isn't "one to cook"

Here's a female character for ya. Shepard. Fully armoured, disciplined, trained, a natural leader. She's strong and capable as a person, not as a woman. That she's a woman is incidental. THAT is what being a good character is. She's a presence and a leader who happens to be a woman. Not DESPITE being a woman.
Ηehe Emily likes to cook in Deadly Premonition but her foods are just terrible and poor York must eat and gives her courage or bring some items to make them better in taste :p
I will check Shepard :D

SihayatheFremen

Ηehe Emily likes to cook in Deadly Premonition but her foods are just terrible and poor York must eat and gives her courage or bring some items to make them better in taste :p
I will check Shepard :D
Way to miss my point.
My point is that in almost every case you pointed out their looks, their mode of dress or lack of it...who cares about their clothing and looks? a good character should be a good character, not eye candy.
Example... I don't describe Marcus Fenix as a big, sexy hot stud in a sleeveless top. I describe him as a bad ass, hard ass, Locust killing machine.
You don't describe good male characters by how sexy and pretty and mostly naked they are, so why would you describe female characters that way?
You can point out they are strong, capable, empathetic or whatever without resorting to talking about their lack of clothing or how "gorgeous" they are.

you point out for Jill : in Resident Evil 3 (not only her appearance there,
Aya: The gorgeous female cop which any man can’t miss.
Chun Li: . She wins you over with her abilities, in combination with her appearance.
Shianaui: es, she is one of the women that caught my eye because of her looks. I really like Mai’s appearance, beautiful and daring with her fans and scantily-clad.
Morrigan: A personality with a very well hidden femininity, which, once discovered, excites you .She has a lot of qualities that every type of man would want in a woman.
Fiona: trapped in a cage almost fully-naked......This way you immediately grow fond of her and try to help a scared and hopeless girl trying to survive

Last edited:

Survival Horror

Way to miss my point.
My point is that in almost every case you pointed out their looks, their mode of dress or lack of it...who cares about their clothing and looks? a good character should be a good character, not eye candy.
Example... I don't describe Marcus Fenix as a big, sexy hot stud in a sleeveless top. I describe him as a bad ass, hard ass, Locust killing machine.
You don't describe good male characters by how sexy and pretty and mostly naked they are, so why would you describe female characters that way?
You can point out they are strong, capable, empathetic or whatever without resorting to talking about their lack of clothing or how "gorgeous" they are.

you point out for Jill : in Resident Evil 3 (not only her appearance there,
Aya: The gorgeous female cop which any man can’t miss.
Chun Li: . She wins you over with her abilities, in combination with her appearance.
Shianaui: es, she is one of the women that caught my eye because of her looks. I really like Mai’s appearance, beautiful and daring with her fans and scantily-clad.
Morrigan: A personality with a very well hidden femininity, which, once discovered, excites you .She has a lot of qualities that every type of man would want in a woman.
Fiona: trapped in a cage almost fully-naked......This way you immediately grow fond of her and try to help a scared and hopeless girl trying to survive

Maybe you see what you want to see,out of these I am saying a lot of most of my fav female characters about their character quality too.
1)Ellie, trained by the Fireflies, not only helps in many parts but also manages to win you over with her rebellious personality, some times more girly, others pretty smart, but down the road she comes to a point of having to take matters into her own hands, having to find medicine for Joel. In that part she truly acts more manly than many others who would cower and that is the reason she has won, along with Jill, the most respect for women characters in video games.

2)Jill, Elements which are amazing on Jill are that she didn’t show her breasts or other body parts (My name is Lara Croft) and she won you over with her feeling of justice, her strength and eagerness to serve S.T.A.R.S..It’s not a coincidence that her nickname is “The Master of Unlocking”, looking at how easily she could get locked doors open.

3)Aya Brea :But it’s not just that. Ava possesses courage, determination and many extra abilities like Full Energy, Liberation etc which make her a force to be reckoned with. Her tragic story about her sister, the mitochondria which differ in relation to the most people around her and the creepy Christmas atmosphere make you bond with her ‘till the end. A real heroine, saves and protects millions of people in the end.

4)Emily:She has eyes showing a very kind soul and that is her biggest plus. etc

Except Mai and Chun Li which their type of games doesnt allow you to learn more about their personalities,i refer mainly to their character and not in appearance,and at the end everyone has his own criteria for his/her fav characters :)

SihayatheFremen

Maybe you see what you want to see,out of these I am saying a lot of most of my fav female characters about their character quality too.
1)Ellie, trained by the Fireflies, not only helps in many parts but also manages to win you over with her rebellious personality, some times more girly, others pretty smart, but down the road she comes to a point of having to take matters into her own hands, having to find medicine for Joel. In that part she truly acts more manly than many others who would cower and that is the reason she has won, along with Jill, the most respect for women characters in video games.

2)Jill, Elements which are amazing on Jill are that she didn’t show her breasts or other body parts (My name is Lara Croft) and she won you over with her feeling of justice, her strength and eagerness to serve S.T.A.R.S..It’s not a coincidence that her nickname is “The Master of Unlocking”, looking at how easily she could get locked doors open.

3)Aya Brea :But it’s not just that. Ava possesses courage, determination and many extra abilities like Full Energy, Liberation etc which make her a force to be reckoned with. Her tragic story about her sister, the mitochondria which differ in relation to the most people around her and the creepy Christmas atmosphere make you bond with her ‘till the end. A real heroine, saves and protects millions of people in the end.

4)Emily:She has eyes showing a very kind soul and that is her biggest plus. etc

Except Mai and Chun Li which their type of games doesnt allow you to learn more about their personalities,i refer mainly to their character and not in appearance,and at the end everyone has his own criteria for his/her fav characters :)

In that case, I'm very curious to see how you describe your favorite male characters.

SihayatheFremen

I am male so we dont have same criteria ;)
I'm female and I don't describe my favorite male characters that way. Because their looks aren't really a criteria.
Do I appreciate if a character is handsome, yes. Do I need to point that out when describing them as a good character, not really.
Then again I don't make a list of favorite "
male" and "female" characters. I just have a list of favorite characters in general.

Survival Horror

My name is George,not Sihaya ....(I dont know your real name :p yet)So we have different view on it.I like a fav female character to combine appearance with character.
You can create one thread with mixed if you wish,everyone is free.

SihayatheFremen

My name is George,not Sihaya ....(I dont know your real name :p yet)So we have different view on it.I like a fav female character to combine appearance with character.
You can create one thread with mixed if you wish,everyone is free.
Do you refuse to see how that's insulting or do you just not care?

Survival Horror

I cannot change the way that you think or seeing things and I dont want to do it, is like to talk with a person that wears blinkers. But cannot all people fit right ?;)

Gamer Steve

10) Noire Goddess Black Heart she is viewed as a cute but strong lead character.
9) Theresa the blind seer in the fable series...i love how mysterious she is and how she has somewhat of a connection to all the heroes of fable throughtout the hundreds of years that games take place.
8)Lightning from final fantasy 13 series she tought and strong and a soldier whats there not to like
7)Yuna final fantasy x & x-2 she is loving caring smart and powerful, a bit of a softy though too
6)Lucca from Crono Trigger she is super smart has powerful fire magic and useful tech attacks, plus she looks like Bulma from Dragonball z
5)faith mirriors edge, ome out a she does parkour while fightning against a corrupt goverment.
4) Lilith borderlands she's a badass who know how to use any type of gun plus she has a mysterious powers
3)Seth lost oddsey she's a immortal aka pirate who has went through hell and back in her 1000 years of living and can still put up a smile and incourage the team to continue their journey.
2)Meetra Surik also known as the exile jedi from stars wars knights of the old repubic the sith lords (default canon character) her connection to the force gets cut of because she has the power to inspire or persuade people to follow in her actions with out even knowing that she is doing it (if she decides to attack someone her followers or teammates will do the same without thinking twice because there mind acts on it along with her as if there connected as one and she doesnt have to force them to do it) she eventually reclaims her powers and stops the sith lords.
1) Kid from Chrono Cross....kid is a badass teenage theif with a british accent. she is super loyal and tough has some pretty awesome abitites in combat, is very brave and laughs at danger...plus her true purpose in the chrono cross story is preety cool.

BrakoV25

I don't mind some of the women in games that are featured as side characters. They feel like they have a stronger story than when you're actually in a game based on a woman.

Even though I love Dragon Age and Mass Effect, I can't stand how BioWare write women in games. They're either done as what a heterosexual male imagines a lesbian-ish woman behaves like, or are just all tits and arse. They make some strong female back story for some of the female characters in there games, but then have them throw all that away and kit them out with gear that would cause there tits to fall out with every step.

Its like the Tomb Raider series. I'm not saying there not good games, but I'm too stand off-ish towards them. It often feels more like your taking part in a game developers wet dream, rather than a story based on a strong female character.

I'm not sucking up to the female species here. But I believe a man should be able to look up to a strong woman as his hero, just as much as he would when learning from a strong man. But whilst I have to say that gaming is the best its ever been. It still has a very long way to go in terms of story telling and character backgrounds. Especially on the female side of things.

Last edited:

SihayatheFremen

I don't mind some of the women in games that are featured as side characters. They feel like they have a stronger story than when you're actually in a game based on a woman.

Even though I love Dragon Age and Mass Effect, I can't stand how BioWare write women in games. They're either done as what a heterosexual male imagines a lesbian-ish woman behaves like, or are just all tits and arse. They make some strong female back story for some of the female characters in there games, but then have them throw all that away and kit them out with gear that would cause there tits to fall out with every step.

Its like the Tomb Raider series. I'm not saying there not good games, but I'm too stand off-ish towards them. It often feels more like your taking part in a game developers wet dream, rather than a story based on a strong female character.

I'm not sucking up to the female species here. But I believe a man should be able to look up to a strong woman as his hero, just as much as he would when learning from a strong man. But whilst I have to say that gaming is the best its ever been. It still has a very long way to go in terms of story telling and character backgrounds. Especially on the female side of things.

If you think the women in dragon age and mass effect act like lesbians you need to learn about women. Both straight and gay.
That's kind of insulting.

Kenny007

I won't jump on the looks wagon, but I think the list is remiss to not include FemShep and the rebooted Lara Croft. Two of my favorite female characters in a long time. A good thing Ellie was in the list at least.